HELP!

barberfamducks

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 25, 2014
Colorado
Bad news yet again
hit.gif
the last duckling egg that pipped has started zipping and our mama hen decided to peck it therefore pecking it's poor little bill almost off! She hatched out three duck eggs successfully but this last one she's decided to hurt! It was bleeding quite a bit. It was primarily on one side from what I could see. It's still in the egg so I don't know if I should help it out or let it be! I moved the egg directly in the center of my hen with fake eggs around it just to guard it. I don't know what to do!

Hopefully someone on here will be able to give you advice about possible antibiotics and/or pain relief. It must be horrible to see such a little thing in discomfort!
Good luck.

I looked again just to get a summary of what's going on and it looks like the hen almost entirely cut off the tip of the duckling's bill
hit.gif
it's bleeding quite a bit and the outcome doesn't look very good. I'm just lost with what to do. I don't wanna just give up, but I also don't wanna let it suffer. It's quite deep into the bill where it seems like it would have trouble eating and drinking. There is also quite a bit of it's bill missing too from where the hen pecked.

Can the bill grow back? If not... and if the duckling is going to have trouble drinking and eating perhaps it's kinder to do something now? I don't have any experience in any of this. Just imagining how you're feeling and wanted to respond!
Sophie

I think I might have to humanely say goodbye to it. It seems to be losing quite a bit of blood and if it does make it through the night (hatch and live), it would be a miracle! I'd love to help it out the egg and bandage it up, but it's not fully hatched yet and I do still see blood vessels in the egg. I guess this is part of hatching out your own offspring but it doesn't make it any less difficult
hit.gif

So unfortunately the baby duckling did pass
hit.gif
So hard dealing with these things, but I have three healthy beautiful ducklings that I, and the duckling that passed, can proudly look at.

Thank you for being so reassuring and helpful, Sylviesoph
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom