Help

Slucente18

Chirping
Nov 27, 2021
Hi all!
I was wondering if you could help me. My hens feathers are looking a hot mess... any one know what may be causing this? Shes been like this for a few weeks and its progressively getting worse. It started at her tail feathers and is moving up.

Attachments

• 20220808_194317.jpg
    20220808_194317.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220808_194315.jpg
    20220808_194315.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 1
I'd start by checking for mites/lice. Do you also have a rooster by chance?
Yes I checked and so far everyone in the flock is in the clear. No rooster unfortunately not allowed in my area. Im really confused as to what it can be. I have another girl who's feathers have started to look like this but not quite as severe.

At first I thought it was maybe the heat. I live in Florida, but im not sure now.

How old are your chickens? Have they started molting this year? Always check their skin under the vent and elsewhere for lice or mites and their eggs. Those usually respond to permethrin dust or spray. Feather mites can be a cause of messy feathers as well, and it requires ivermectin.

If they are molting, you may see loose feathers around your coop and run, and they may be growing in new feathers. Molting first occurs around 18 months of age, and then once a year afterward.

Back
Top Bottom