Help when eggs stop coming

Irish_rooster

Hatching
Oct 26, 2017
I have been raising chickens for 1.5 years I thought I figured things out but I clearly need some advice. In the past I have successfully integrated different adult flocks, introduced mature chicks to the flock, protected coop and pen from coyotes. Last winter solved water freezing issues, reduced draft issues, added light -- all succeeding in keeping my ladies happy and producing eggs. But now our flock has stopped producing eggs.

I have confirmed that my sons are regular with food and water, we have a big pen area, plenty of space for dust baths, shade, protection, and that they have a warm dry coop. I have added a light giving them 14-16 hours of day light (no judging right?). This has worked for me all last winter but now it is not.

The big change was introducing 5 new chickens and a rooster two weeks ago. I took time slowly introducing them making sure to minimize the pecking order fights. The rooster stepped in and it now seems to be an established order, no more feathers in the pen or coop area. The original flock was producing 8-12 eggs daily, now with 5 more hens it has dropped over the last week to 1-2 eggs.

I thought issues could be light (but that is normal), food and water (all good), getting colder but pretty decent (50-60F during day) and warm/draft free in coop. There are no chickens brooding/molting. Stress level with integration of flock or rooster? Could the rooster cause this?

Please help - I need some advice or possible areas to help my ladies.

Thank you. It is odd that in the past when I integrated other flocks it did not drop like this. I did have a slow down for a couple of days but it is virtually stopped for 4-5 days. I guess I must be patient. Thanks again.

New birds usually throw off egg production while everyone learns their place, be the new bird hen or rooster. Only time will get them back on track. :)

1.5 years
Probably molting?
18 months is prime time for a molt....even with the supplemental lighting.
How old are all your birds?
Lots of space in coop and run?
Do you free range? They could be laying out in range area to avoid the new boy.

Adding a male could definitely be the stressor....only male present in a previously all female flock?

Plenty of calcium for sure but I will add more grit. Thanks!
Let's clarify that oyster shell and digestive granite grit should be offered in separate containers to be consumed as needed

Back
Top Bottom