FloweringFeathers

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2023
Virginia
I've recently bought a group of Speckled Sussex chickens, all of the pullets are very tame. This rooster is not, he's smaller than all of the females and bites people for seemingly no reason. I'd like to keep him, but we would want to tame him or at least make sure he isn't terrified of humans. Does anyone know if Speckled Sussex roosters are aggressive or how to tame him? He's about 13 weeks old so I'm hoping it's not too late to warm him up to people. I'm afraid I don't have a photo of him but I'll try to catch one later to add to this post. Thank you! :celebrate

First you are dealing with an individual not a breed; most so called 'breed characteristics' when applied to personality or behaviour are just urban myths.

Second, my advice is to stop trying to tame him or terrify him (intentionally or not). Give him space. Let him look after his girls, and stop trying to take them from him (which is how your behaviour will be appearing to him).

Third, he is in the difficult jerk phase, where his hormones may be surging and sometimes provoke uncharacteristic behaviour, like a teenage human. He'll get over it if you just let nature take its course. The other birds will play a role in his education too, showing him what's acceptable and what's not.

I have four roos that work together to look after 15 hens and pullets, and all of which were raised in the flock, so I speak from experience not hearsay.

Back
Top Bottom