Help! TSC gave me the wrong chicks!

Luckyeights86

Chirping
Jun 17, 2023
My husband and I had to get more chicken feed from TSC today, and a worker stopped to tell us chicks were on sale today because they were too old to be there still. We crumbled, and specifically asked for the remaining bantams, NOT the marans, please! Not that we don't like marans, but I already own one and she is a BIG girl! I was wanting bantams because they're smaller, and can be friends with our other lone bantam. Again, we specifically asked for the bantams, NOT the marans.

Yes, I understand I should've checked my phone first, which I tried to do, but have no service, so we just let the kid convince us "these are the bantams, they're just bigger because they're older."

Well, now I'm home and have reception, have been googling it, and these babies look exactly like 2 week old black copper marans!
Does anyone know if I call TSC and tell them what happened, would they allow me to buy the ACTUAL remaining bantams, even though there's only 2 left, since I just purchased these? Or would they make me buy 4 of them still?

Edit: sorry for the quality of pictures. They were all pretty tuckered out and didn't want to wake the others, but they look the same as this one.

Attachments

• PXL_20240508_012757634.jpg
    PXL_20240508_012757634.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20240508_012808446.jpg
    PXL_20240508_012808446.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20240508_012939497.jpg
    PXL_20240508_012939497.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
My husband and I had to get more chicken feed from TSC today, and a worker stopped to tell us chicks were on sale today because they were too old to be there still. We crumbled, and specifically asked for the remaining bantams, NOT the marans, please! Not that we don't like marans, but I already own one and she is a BIG girl! I was wanting bantams because they're smaller, and can be friends with our other lone bantam. Again, we specifically asked for the bantams, NOT the marans.

Yes, I understand I should've checked my phone first, which I tried to do, but have no service, so we just let the kid convince us "these are the bantams, they're just bigger because they're older."

Well, now I'm home and have reception, have been googling it, and these babies look exactly like 2 week old black copper marans!
Does anyone know if I call TSC and tell them what happened, would they allow me to buy the ACTUAL remaining bantams, even though there's only 2 left, since I just purchased these? Or would they make me buy 4 of them still?
Pictures? I had 4 black bantams this year. First time ever. So odd.

Edit: sorry for the quality of pictures. They were all pretty tuckered out and didn't want to wake the others, but they look the same as this one.
Every TSC is operated by different management so what one store does isn't what they all do. You'd have to ask them and I would think they'd work a deal out with you since this was their mistake. But again, that's what ours would do.

I'm going to guess your stuck with what they gave you. I would imagine they probably have some no return policy for live animals. They might give you replacement "bantams" free but tell you to keep the "wrong" birds.

But it's really on you to closely scrutinize what they give you. If you are wanting a specific breed and sex, you should have a real good idea how to identify yourself and not trust some clerk who probably never saw a baby chick until they got a job at TSC.

TSC will have 2-3 different breeds in the same trough. "Usually" they are different enough in color to correctly differentiate. But not always.

I prefer to buy from my local independent feed store. A mom and pop feed store that has been there forever with long term employees. The chicken lady there knows her birds and each breed is in a separate brooder so no mixing breeds.

I've gotten the "wrong" bird more than once at TSC. But even my local feed store gave me a rooster by mistake once. But that was the fault of the hatchery failing to sex them properly. It does happen.

Chicks are easy to re-home. Post the ones you want to re-home in our state thread
not always...Trust me. I've had very mixed success. Not always easy to give away a "free" chicken. If you don't want it, what make you think someone else wants it?

However, giving away a hen (egg layer) is 10X easier that giving away a male. So you are "lucky" so to speak...

I'm going to guess your stuck with what they gave you. I would imagine they probably have some no return policy for live animals. They might give you replacement "bantams" free but tell you to keep the "wrong" birds.

But it's really on you to closely scrutinize what they give you. If you are wanting a specific breed and sex, you should have a real good idea how to identify yourself and not trust some clerk who probably never saw a baby chick until they got a job at TSC.

TSC will have 2-3 different breeds in the same trough. "Usually" they are different enough in color to correctly differentiate. But not always.

I prefer to buy from my local independent feed store. A mom and pop feed store that has been there forever with long term employees. The chicken lady there knows her birds and each breed is in a separate brooder so no mixing breeds.

I've gotten the "wrong" bird more than once at TSC. But even my local feed store gave me a rooster by mistake once. But that was the fault of the hatchery failing to sex them properly. It does happen.
yeah, that's why I hatch my own. at least I know I'm getting straight run, as opposed to the only real hen in my Rhode Island Red's getting nabbed by a fox, (who later took her brother, I'm going to set a trap if it comes back again) and now I have a rooster. at least I can breed him with my Australorp to get a cool pattern.

Back
Top Bottom