Help triaging sores chicken legs

Jwcervetto

Hatching
Jun 5, 2015
Oakland, Ca
Hi,
I have a flock of 5. I noticed a week ago that my Plymouth Rook had some strange scabs on her legs. At first I thought they were scale mites and I treated with warm water, cooking oil, and petroleum jelly. I did that for about a week but they seem to be getting bigger and worse. Here are some photos. None of the other birds have similar symptoms. Can any help figure out what the sores are and what the cause is
?

They could be sores from the perch or a chicken that sleeps in a nest box or on the ground, but they look more like tumors.

I hope it gets better soon!

Welcome to BYC. How old are your chickens? I really don't know exactly what the sores could be. Pododermatitis or bumblefoot could be a possibility if they are on wet bedding, or wet conditions in their ranging area, but I would look into insect bites as a possible culprit. Have they been vaccinated for Mareks disease?

Hi thanks for the reply. I got all the birds at the same time from the same farm store in Oakland. They get all their birds from hatcheries that vaccinate for Marek's disease. They are approximately 2.5 to 3 months old. They are California birds so definitely no moister of any kind here :) Im a little perplexed by it because she is the only pullet afflicted.

Back
Top Bottom