Help please! We've made a hole in the air sac but the chick hasn't pipped internally yet. Oops!

Kristenadelaide77

In the Brooder
May 18, 2018
Would love some info please - we had nine eggs in the incubator that were shipped over and only one has would up being viable. It is day 21 today and yesterday we were positive the chick had pipped internally, and today still no external pip so I've made a hole in the egg where I was positive the beak was through. Once I got in there I realised that the chick hasn't actually pipped internally. Should I do anything to make sure this chick will be ok? Should I moisten the membrane with something? Thank you :)

I have done this too. Just make sure that the membrane stays very moist so that the chick is able to hatch. Also try not to make the hole any bigger as it will dry out the membrane faster. Just be patient and don’t try to rush things.

If you can get to the membrane without widening the hole or causing further damage, you could try putting a tiny bit of coconut oil or olive oil on it to keep it moist, then return the egg to the incubator and leave it. Check on it a couple of times a day until it hatches to make sure the membranes aren' drying up and going brown.

Back
Top Bottom