Help Please - Doxycycline Dosage

thailand

Crowing
12 Years
Hello,
I have several chickens who are making gurgling sounds when they breathe. One has a closed eye, and I'm treating that with Terramycin opthalmic eye ointment. (I think she may have sand/grit in her eye). I believe Tylan is a possibility (depending on what exactly the problem is) for helping them. I live in Thailand and we don't have the same medications that you can get in other countries. I have however discovered that there is a thai version of tylan. It is tylan 20 injectable. Does anyone know if I can/should use this, and can I give it orally instead of by injection?

Many thanks

Hello,
I have several chickens who are making gurgling sounds when they breathe. One has a closed eye, and I'm treating that with Terramycin opthalmic eye ointment. (I think she may have sand/grit in her eye). I believe Tylan is a possibility (depending on what exactly the problem is) for helping them. I live in Thailand and we don't have the same medications that you can get in other countries. I have however discovered that there is a thai version of tylan. It is tylan 20 injectable. Does anyone know if I can/should use this, and can I give it orally instead of by injection?

Many thanks

I am sure you can give it oral----probably have to up the amount. Eggcessive will probably reply----seems to have a lot of knowledge on medicine.

Last edited:
Just found this information online. It's perhaps the closest I can find so far to what I seem to have bought. Really just need some help working out if 1 tspn per 2 litres of water is the correct dosage for giving to the entire flock of chickens rather than individually.

France Laborartorios Karizoo S.A. Pol. Ind. La Borda c/Mas Pujades 11-12 Caldes de Montbui 08140 SPAIN DOXYSOL 10 % Doxycycline hyclate 100 mg/ml Oral solution Porcine Hens Broilers CHICKEN (broilers): 10 - 20 mg of doxycycline / kg bw / day 3 - 5 days Indications: CHICKENS (BROILERS). Prevention and treatment of chronic respiratory disease (CRD) and mycoplasmosis caused by microorganisms sensitive to doxycycline.

Thanks heaps :)

Edited to add: http://www.auspigeonco.com.au/Articles/gotabird.html

Treat with doxycycline. Do not use other tetracyclines as they maintain too short blood levels (eg oxytetracycline and chlortetracycline, about 4 hours) for effective treatment and their absorption is significantly interfered with by a variety of mineral salts and other substances that are routinely ingested by free-range pet birds. Doxycycline maintains circulating blood levels for approximately 20 hours after medication and its action is affected to a lesser extent by mineral salts. Doxycycline is available as Vibravet tablets 50 mg, 1 tablet / 2 kg daily to treat individual birds, or, to treat larger numbers of birds, as a water-soluble powder, Doxyvet (doxycycline 12%), 1 teaspoon / 2 litres mixed fresh daily. Continue until all birds are well.

Just not sure if my powder is 12% or 10% (since it says on packet 10 grams am I assuming that it is only 10%, if so how do I alter the dose?)

Last edited:
Just found this information online. It's perhaps the closest I can find so far to what I seem to have bought. Really just need some help working out if 1 tspn per 2 litres of water is the correct dosage for giving to the entire flock of chickens rather than individually.

France Laborartorios Karizoo S.A. Pol. Ind. La Borda c/Mas Pujades 11-12 Caldes de Montbui 08140 SPAIN DOXYSOL 10 % Doxycycline hyclate 100 mg/ml Oral solution Porcine Hens Broilers CHICKEN (broilers): 10 - 20 mg of doxycycline / kg bw / day 3 - 5 days Indications: CHICKENS (BROILERS). Prevention and treatment of chronic respiratory disease (CRD) and mycoplasmosis caused by microorganisms sensitive to doxycycline.

Thanks heaps :)

Edited to add: http://www.auspigeonco.com.au/Articles/gotabird.html

Treat with doxycycline. Do not use other tetracyclines as they maintain too short blood levels (eg oxytetracycline and chlortetracycline, about 4 hours) for effective treatment and their absorption is significantly interfered with by a variety of mineral salts and other substances that are routinely ingested by free-range pet birds. Doxycycline maintains circulating blood levels for approximately 20 hours after medication and its action is affected to a lesser extent by mineral salts. Doxycycline is available as Vibravet tablets 50 mg, 1 tablet / 2 kg daily to treat individual birds, or, to treat larger numbers of birds, as a water-soluble powder, Doxyvet (doxycycline 12%), 1 teaspoon / 2 litres mixed fresh daily. Continue until all birds are well.

Just not sure if my powder is 12% or 10% (since it says on packet 10 grams am I assuming that it is only 10%, if so how do I alter the dose?)

Do your research---I never give to the whole flock---only the ones that appear sick.

Hi again,

I have tried to do more research....but I'm just not finding that much about doxycycline. Almost every bird is effected so that is why I'm putting it in the water for the entire flock (except one broody who is separated from the flock, and another who has 2 chicks, also separated).

I think the problem stems from too high ammonia levels in the litter (my fault for not keeping on top of that!). Egg production is not down at all....so I'm hoping this is nothing very serious. All chickens are still very active, eating and drinking normally. Just checked them again tonight (I'm currently in the middle of a 3 day conference so I haven't been home much the last couple of days to care for them), and there are several not roosting but instead sitting on the coop floor. Yesterday I did quickly add fresh litter to their coop, about 1 foot of new rice hulls so hopefully that is helping some. They have had one dosing of 1 teaspoon of doxycycline (actually doxy-sol here in Thailand) today which lasted them all day, and after that I gave them a full container (4 litres) of fresh water with 3 cloves of garlic in. Tonight they are still very rattly.....will see what tomorrow brings.

All further advice is greatly appreciated.

Hey - this might be way past, but I am treating using doxycycline currently for coccidian. The measurements in water are 1 teaspoon to 4 cups of water. And if giving it to them with a syringe, if under 1 years of age .5ml and if over 1 year of age, then 1ml. Those were based on weight, but will do the trick.

There are multiple variations of doxycycline but there two different kinds of doxycycline which are mainly used. Always check which one you are working with. 1) Doxycyline Hyclate (most common one prescribed for humans) 2) Doxycycline Hydrochloride

My vet called in an RX for my duck for 20 mg doxycycline but the Pharmacy filled a 200 mg (WHICH IS AN ADULT HUMAN DOSAGE). My duck went into kidney failure. I saved him by not giving him anything the Vet prescribed and learned to look up anything that the super expensive vet did. The vet does not give a check-out piece of paper thus I had no idea that she called in 20 NOT 200. Always check what drug and what side effects. He also has severe arthritis due to given Enrofloxacin as a baby.

My vet prescribed 20 mg doxycycline hyclate per 2.2 pounds of body weight 2xs a day for 3 days.

Other pub med articles have it administered only once a day, "at a dose of 20 mg/kg/d for 3 consecutive days of doxycycline was recommended to treat infections in laying hens."

If mixing with water then add citric acid as it helps it mix the doxycycline in water and is somewhat synergistic. I do not know how much to put in water and no one ever answered this question. I do know the water has to be changed daily but you would already be giving them fresh water daily.

Back
Top Bottom