HELP! My duck may have impacted crop!

DuckNoobie

Songster
5 Years
Jan 7, 2015
Toronto
Hi everyone! Please have a look at the image below and tell me if my female duck has an impacted crop! She eats non stop, drinks good, poops lots too. I picked her up for the second day now and have been massaging her crop, also gave her some olive oil prior to that. The crop isn't hard at all, it just feels mushy and fatty. This massive chest of hers doesn't seem to impact her daily activities but it just doesn't look normal. She just started laying eggs- could this be part of the reason?? Please let me know what to do! I've had her for a few weeks now and she did not arrive looking like that!!!
Thank you

I have seen something like this, I am trying to recall what it is . . . .

Do you have any poultry probiotics? That ought not to harm anything, might help if it's some kind of imbalance. Has she been on any medications? What is her diet?

I have seen something like this, I am trying to recall what it is . . . .

Do you have any poultry probiotics?  That ought not to harm anything, might help if it's some kind of imbalance.  Has she been on any medications?  What is her diet?

I do have probiotic yogurt which I was told to feed her if she has diarrhea. Her diet is exactly what her breeder fed her - I got her at 4 months old so she's been exposed to her food for a while. I haven't fed her anything different from when she first arrived. Just her food and lettuce treats and lots of water. She doesn't like any other fruits or veggies.

If she is passing food it does not sound like she is completely impacted if at all.

Do they get fed 24/7?  Does it seem to get larger or smaller?

Well I think when the food is no longer passes it'll be too late and I can say goodbye to her :( I'm trying not to get to that point. She does not get food at night however she snacks on her bedding (straw). Food is available all day, and she eats the same as when she first came here so I wouldn't say her eating habits changed.
It seems smaller in the morning but then she eats and it comes back. After massaging it also appears slightly smaller but what am I massaging when I don't feel anything in there??

Here are a few ideas, just tossing them out here.

If she has an imbalance, there could be some swelling - perhaps a pH imbalance, a gut flora problem, some other source of inflammation.

Could be some kind of infection in the digestive tract.

What if it's some kind of yeast infection? That might cause swelling.

Could there be an object in there? A vet, an x-ray might answer that.

She may have started gorging after not eating at night. Did the place she came from give her food at night? Maybe, since she has started laying, she is just really really hungry and needs food with water 24/7.

Sieben used to get that weird pouch near the base of her neck sometimes. Looked scary, but it turns out she would just sometimes really fill up.

If she is eating straw, then that could cause an impaction, I would think, or at least a slow-down, depending on how much bedding she's eating. Have you thought of trying some shavings for a little while? Maybe put her in a crate with old towels for bedding at night for a few days and see what happens?

Speaking of vets, it is good if you can get a vet's help.

Last edited:
Here are a few ideas, just tossing them out here.

If she has an imbalance, there could be some swelling - perhaps a pH imbalance, a gut flora problem, some other source of inflammation.

Could be some kind of infection in the digestive tract.

What if it's some kind of yeast infection?  That might cause swelling.

Could there be an object in there?  A vet, an x-ray might answer that.

She may have started gorging after not eating at night.  Did the place she came from give her food at night?  Maybe, since she has started laying, she is just really really hungry and needs food with water 24/7.

Sieben used to get that weird pouch near the base of her neck sometimes.  Looked scary, but it turns out she would just sometimes really fill up.

If she is eating straw, then that could cause an impaction, I would think, or at least a slow-down, depending on how much bedding she's eating.  Have you thought of trying some shavings for a little while?  Maybe put her in a crate with old towels for bedding at night for a few days and see what happens?

Speaking of vets, it is good if you can get a vet's help.

PH imbalance is an interesting idea. I don't think there's any objects in there, I don't feel anything when I massage the crop.
The other place didn't feed them at night either.
I'm going to eliminate straw completely and just leave hay to see if this makes a difference as she doesn't eat the hay!
She's layed 4th consecutive egg today and I think it's taking a major toll on her, she looks worse everyday, not just her crop but her feathers ...I'm waiting on an order of layer mash and her current food is very good so I don't know why she's wilting away...ugh :(

Worming would be a good idea something like Safeguad paste for horses or Valbazen... and also you could try putting some ACV[with mother] in her drinking water it can help the ph of the crop. it's also a very good tonic. 1-2 Tablespoons of AVC to 1 gallon of fresh water.

Worming would be a good idea something like Safeguad paste for horses or Valbazen... and also you could try putting some ACV[with mother] in her drinking water it can help the ph of the crop. it's also a very good tonic. 1-2 Tablespoons of AVC to 1 gallon of fresh water.

Apple cider vinegar?? Really? Okay I got tons of that-I'll try!!
I don't know if she has worms, I'd see them in the poop right? Nothing abnormal in her poop

Back
Top Bottom