4chickens4life

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2021
Southwestern United States
HELP! My chickens are slowing/stopping egg production at less than A YEAR old!!
Please help! My chickens egg production was really great (I have four hens and we were getting 4 eggs a day) until a couple of weeks ago when we started getting 0-2 eggs a day. I thought it might be a calcium deficiency, so I bought oyster shells and gave them a heavy calcium diet, and they still don’t lay as many eggs as before. Do they need more protein? What do I do? I don’t think it’s a stress issue because they are free range and go wherever they please all day. They’re only 11 months old, and all of them used to lay eggs everyday, but now we only get 1-2 eggs a day. We got chickens so we wouldn’t have to buy eggs, and we don’t want to get rid of them. Please help us!! :)

HELP! My chickens are slowing/stopping egg production at less than A YEAR old!!
Please help! My chickens egg production was really great (I have four hens and we were getting 4 eggs a day) until a couple of weeks ago when we started getting 0-2 eggs a day. I thought it might be a calcium deficiency, so I bought oyster shells and gave them a heavy calcium diet, and they still don’t lay as many eggs as before. Do they need more protein? What do I do? I don’t think it’s a stress issue because they are free range and go wherever they please all day. They’re only 11 months old, and all of them used to lay eggs everyday, but now we only get 1-2 eggs a day. We got chickens so we wouldn’t have to buy eggs, and we don’t want to get rid of them. Please help us!! :)
Maybe they built a nest somewhere else...what breeds do you have?

Mine quit laying for nearly 4 months during her first hard molt. However, she was about a year and a half old when it happened. Besides slowing eggs down to a halt, she spent more time on the roost sleeping in, had overall low energy, and looked scraggly and moth-eaten.

Back
Top Bottom