Help me pick some good farm breeds! :)

if you want to get something now then get the delawares they are very big meat birds good layers and they are very freindly
if you would rather wait then keep doing research and pick something when its best for you

punky
big_smile.png

My Barred Rock is a very big girl, lays everyday and also very calm. Our RIR's are aggressive, but lays good. Black Australorps are good layers and very sweet.

Quote:
The underline statement is only true to the production breed of chicken that the hatcheries are calling a R.I. Reds and not the true heritage R.I. Red.
True Reds are not aggressive at all.

Chris

Quote:
I know it seems confusing and difficult, but really what I'd do is search around the breed threads here and see who's got what. Hinkjc has some amazing Orpingtons, you can PM her about those. . . I believe Chris09 has Rhode Island Reds, and there's a decent handful of Delaware breeders on the Delaware dilemma and Delaware breed thread. And for Buckeyes, you can ask punky rooster.

To me, part of the fun is doing a little research. And one easy way, really, is to look through the breed threads here. There's even a thread for true heritage Rhode Island Reds.
wink.png

Quote:
The underline statement is only true to the production breed of chicken that the hatcheries are calling a R.I. Reds and not the true heritage R.I. Red.

Chris

Thats not always true, i used to have a pure heritage RIR along with production reds and the RIR was mean as hell and the production reds were (and still are) the nicest chickens i have.

Quote:

Chris

Thats not always true, i used to have a pure heritage RIR along with production reds and the RIR was mean as hell and the production reds were (and still are) the nicest chickens i have.

I got to say that I been hatching out about 100 Large Fowl Red a year from 3 different lines (one Single Comb line and two Rose Comb line) and never had a mean bird. I talked to 5 other Red breeder about "aggressive" Reds about a year or so back and they said you might get 1 out of hundred birds or so that get testy but most of the time that will go away in time...

Just for the heck of it, where did you get you Heritage Reds from?

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:

I got to say that I been hatching out about 100 Large Fowl Red a year from 3 different lines (one Single Comb line and two Rose Comb line) and never had a mean bird. I talked to 5 other Red breeder about "aggressive" Reds about a year or so back and they said you might get 1 out of hundred birds or so that get testy but most of the time that will go away in time...

Just for the heck of it, where did you get you Heritage Reds from?

Chris

I hatched three out from eggs on eggbid, but sold them b4 they were mature, and 1 (the roo) from a friend but i dont know where he got it.

EDITED FOR: typed the wrong # (oopsie)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom