Help me find Mr. Right!

We actually have a goose and he has scared off hawks countless times. The thing about this is, though, he grew up with the chickens and bonded with them. He doesn’t do anything Bad with them like try to mate them because our roosters keep him in his place. Roosters though if they actually like the hens, will protect.

Hello helpful chicken people. I have an 8-year-old silver-laced Wyandotte hen (5 lbs) and a 1-year-old Brahma hen (7 lbs), both laying, who have free ranged on an acre their entire lives. We have considered a rooster ONLY for their protection, especially from hawks, but I'm very nervous about upsetting the ladies, especially the 8-year-old. There hasn't been a rooster here for about 4 years and it was a bantam, unknown breed.
  1. Is it better to get a young rooster to raise, with him getting used to handling/training, etc. or an older one who is more mature?
  2. Is there a breed that would be best – aggressive enough for protection but laid back enough for the ladies?
Thanks!
You might want to consider a dog, A well trained dog, even a pet will protect your chickens as well as a rooster. Our dogs are in and out with us all day and if ANYTHING is going on with the chickens they know instantly (even when we don't) and want to go out.

Back
Top Bottom