help!!! just got 2 severely malnourished hens

nature nut

Songster
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
I just got 2 hens from a neighbor. They are both about 2 years old. Have been fed only corn their entire lives with no calcium supplements. They did live uncaged in a small yard. We examined them and found their breast bones stick out about 2 inches if you put your hands into the feathers. They have very little muscle over their bodies. They have to stop for rest breaks and breath hard just going up the ramp into the hen house. They do go out and walk ocassionally in our yard but mostly stay in the run and they get tired fast. The poop looks normal no blood or worms seen but they do have droppings stuck to the fluff around their vents but they have been sleeping on the floor of a dog kennel on top of a huge hardened pile of poop. Vents are clean. No parasites seen in feathers or on vents. We have had them for 2 days. Day one the RIR laid a regular egg and the Amerucauna laid an egg with no shell just membrane. Day 2 neither one laid an egg. The RIR has a rather large comb and one portion of it is cool to the touch and that part is not blue but a bluish red color the rest of the comb is normal warm and bright red. The RIR's feathers are very dark brown instead of red brown and both have mostly dull feathers. The Amerucauna has a few patches of downy showing through her back feathers. No discharge from their noses. Eyes bright and clear with red/orange eye color. Feathers are not loose. What should I do to get these two ladies healthy?

Well, if you have other chickens, I would isolate those two for a while. Always best to do that before they mingle with yoru other birds,but regardless, still a good idea to do that. For one thing they may have diseases or an illness that is contagious. And, the stress of being with other birds will not help them if they are in that poor health...they need to be separate for a while...like three weeks to a month...before they join the flock. That way they will be in better health and also you will know at that point that they are disease free. (or not) If you have other birds, I would go ahead and separate those two and disinfect your coop and waterers, preferably with oxine and water solution. Also,if they were mine I would get some Aviacharge 2000 and start them on that, then just use your common sense re feeding. WE had hens like that a couple of times when we first got chickens, my DS rescued them from an Amish auction. They were horrible when they came, scrawny and picked about half to death. Today, four years later, we still have most of them left, and they are healthy and happy. It is rewarding to watch, and yours should recover quickly. Good luck.

Last edited:
Heartbreaking. Sickens me how people mistreat innocent beings.
somad.gif

Thank you for helping them.
hugs.gif

Others will come along with plenty of suggestions I'm sure. If they don't stress too much with handling you can give each 3 drops Polyvisol liquid children's vitamins (without iron) daily administered with dropper oh so gently and slowly along their beak line so they swallow on their own. Do this for the first week or for a week as soon as they are comfortable around you if they are still in depleted shape.

Hen layer food, eggs, yogurt, sunflower seeds.

Avia Charge 2000 (can order on line) - nutritional supplement added to water.
Very fresh water daily.

For a quick happy snack (hopefully they'll be interested) mealworms.

Definitely oyster shell must be available 24/7.

Little healthy snacks of fresh fruit or veggies would be good (mine love blueberries, grapes, blackberries, raspberries, tomatoes, apples, watermelon, cantelope etc.) <-not too heavy on any of this stuff at first because they need maximum concentrated nutrition but little bits may cheer them and give them things to look forward to..

Pine shavings for bedding. In their terribly weakened state avoid temps too hot or too cold.

That's just a few thoughts for starters. I hope they will be able to heal some and enjoy life as they so deserve it. Thank you again. Please keep us posted.
JJ

Last edited:
Poor little things. I am still rather new to chickens but I might give them a little yogurt, to get them some calcium in a tasty form...and protein etc. I might also take them to the vet, if possible, and get a full workup.

If you need to put some weight on them, give them cat or dog food. I know you can get cat food at the dollar store that has 31% protein. That's a LOT of protein and the oils in the cat/dog food will also help their sheen.

After they have adjusted a bit and have put on some weight I would worm them with Wazine first and then Ivermectin. The wazine will kill most of the worms and then the Ivermectin will kill the rest of them.

I know it sounds like a better plan to go straight to the Ivermectin but if they have a large worm infestation the dead worms in their system could 'clog' them up and they wouldn't be able to pass them and possibly kill the chicken.

Thank you for taking them in and giving them a better life.

I read that cat food is good because it comes from a protein source and dog food is not as good because it comes from a grain source.

I'm not trying to be difficult.

As far as dog and cat food, look at the label. Some come from grain, fish sources, and other protein sources (e.g. chicken, lamb etc) - there is a huge variety of both dog and cat food, and it should tell you what the percentage of protein is.

The coloring on the comb could be from a case of frostbite .. especially if they had inadequate housing .. I've seen this before escpecially on roos , when I was a kid our banty roos always ended up with frostbite combs , if severe they may lose part of the comb, milder case just discolors the comb and it can be a permanent color change.

personally I would not give dog or catfood (too much salt!)

Avia harge is a great complete and balanced supplement and in addition to that I would give three drops of polyvisol enfamil in beak once a day for a week then taper off the next.
A good trick to getting them to eat more with each bite is to cook up a bit of human oatmeal (when you have supplement like aviacharge mix this in with the cooled down oatmeal) and then mix JUST enough in with their normal feed to make it clump together >this way they end up swallowing a clump of feed instead of a tiny grain or pellet. You can go to the bait shop and get some mealworms (dont give them "wild" ones) and sprinkle a few on top of the feed mixture >once they start eating they will usually continue.
Offer a half cup of live culture yogurt (plain not flavored) or put a dollop on top of their feed mixture.

Back
Top Bottom