Help! Ill hen. Won't stand up, lying on her side.

Rikkipedia

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 6, 2012
Portland, OR
I have an ill maran hen. She's a year and half old, and has had no previous illnesses. She's actually been one of my hardier birds.

I let all the chickens out this morning, I noticed that she didn't come out, but didn't think anything of it. I just went out to check on them, and I found her lying on her side on the bottom of the coop. Her eyes are closed and her comb is a deep red with a purple tinge to it. I've quarantined her and don't think she'll last the rest of the day.

We had a mite problem that I just recently got rid of using DE and a natural poultry protector spray. None of the other chickens are looking bad, but it's also hard to tell since a few of them are molting right now too.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions anyone has.

She sounds as though she might not make it. Would she drink some electrolyte water if you dipped her beak into it? Sugar, a pinch of salt in water would do until you could make some, or get some Pedialyte or Gatorade. She may have a heart problem or an abnormality in another organ that has just shown up. There are a lot of scary diseases that can be carried by wild birds, so just keep a close eye on the rest of your flock. Check her over for a large crop, any swelling of the face or eyes, nasal drainage, any signs of being eggbound, or any diarrhea or bloody stool.

So sorry for your loss--I was typing at the same time as your post.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom