Chicken doing something odd!

katiewr13

In the Brooder
May 18, 2024
I wanted to add a short video but that doesn’t seem to want to work. I have a Brahma hen that has been doing an odd motion with her neck. She always tends to fill herself up— she’s a big girl, and I’ve come to expect her crop to be pretty big. But I don’t typically notice her doing the funky neck thing like she’s trying to swallow down her stuff. In general she’s always been one of my healthiest hens, but I’m a bit concerned today because her crop seems bigger than usual and I don’t usually notice her doing the neck thing. I don’t know how much she ate this morning because my dad feeds them their scratch. My flock lives in a fenced in dirt yard and only the occasional small bird gets in. They eat basically the same things every day. Two nights ago I treated everyone for feather mites with ivermectin poured on, which works for deworming, too. In case it turns out to be sour crop, are there any catalysts that could possibly cause more of the flock to come down with it?

I wanted to add a short video but that doesn’t seem to want to work. I have a Brahma hen that has been doing an odd motion with her neck. She always tends to fill herself up— she’s a big girl, and I’ve come to expect her crop to be pretty big. But I don’t typically notice her doing the funky neck thing like she’s trying to swallow down her stuff. In general she’s always been one of my healthiest hens, but I’m a bit concerned today because her crop seems bigger than usual and I don’t usually notice her doing the neck thing. I don’t know how much she ate this morning because my dad feeds them their scratch. My flock lives in a fenced in dirt yard and only the occasional small bird gets in. They eat basically the same things every day. Two nights ago I treated everyone for feather mites with ivermectin poured on, which works for deworming, too. In case it turns out to be sour crop, are there any catalysts that could possibly cause more of the flock to come down with it?
Welcome To BYC
For video, upload to YouTube, then provide us a link.

I agree, from your description, it sounds like she's adjusting her crop.
Check to see if her crop is emptying overnight, if it's not, then address that symptom according to the article below:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Welcome To BYC
For video, upload to YouTube, then provide us a link.

I agree, from your description, it sounds like she's adjusting her crop.
Check to see if her crop is emptying overnight, if it's not, then address that symptom according to the article below:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you for the article. I’ve handled sourcrop before in a different hen before, but I’m always looking for other things to try.

Thank you for the article. I’ve handled sourcrop before in a different hen before, but I’m always looking for other things to try.
The article information is what I go by when treating crop issues with any my birds.

If you decide on a treatment, continue with it for the duration, often a sour crop is hard to correct/treat, but folks give up too soon or they don't follow through the treatment to the end, they stop once they see a small measure of improvement.

The article information is what I go by when treating crop issues with any my birds.

If you decide on a treatment, continue with it for the duration, often a sour crop is hard to correct/treat, but folks give up too soon or they don't follow through the treatment to the end, they stop once they see a small measure of improvement.
Is there a good way to save articles shared here?

Is there a good way to save articles shared here

If you are using a PC, you could save them to your computer. Bookmarking on a phone or pc can sometimes be useful.

BYC also offers a Premium Feather Membership (PFM)which allows you to have an onsite bookmark section that is either public or private. It's a useful tool.
The PFM is a paid membership, but you can also enter contests on BYC and win a few months subscription, there's ways to get it sometimes without having to buy it. Even if you let the PFM run out, anything you have bookmarked/saved through BYC is still accessible on your account.

Back
Top Bottom