Help, Eye worm questions

JEM3965

In the Brooder
May 11, 2020
Chick 5 weeks. Currently being treated with Corid. Also have been using vetercyn eyewash and stopped using terramyicin ointment. Symptoms appear to be eye worm after doing research. So now want to administer Vetrx. Can you use both corid and Vetrx in water at the same time? Or how do I administer the Vetrx and correct dosage for eye worm. This is my first time posting a question and new to raising chicks

Chick 5 weeks. Currently being treated with Corid. Also have been using vetercyn eyewash and stopped using terramyicin ointment. Symptoms appear to be eye worm after doing research. So now want to administer Vetrx. Can you use both corid and Vetrx in water at the same time? Or how do I administer the Vetrx and correct dosage for eye worm. This is my first time posting a question and new to raising chicks
Welcome To BYC

Where are you located in the world?

Corid is a Coccidiostat that treats overload of Coccidia. What symptoms do your chickens have?

VetRx is a remedy that some use for various treatments.
In case you lost your instructions, here they are ...using VetRx for treatment of eye worm involves applying the VetRx into the cleft of the beak (inside) not in the water.
Corid really should be the only thing in the water if you are treating for Coccidiosis. https://www.drugs.com/vet/vetrx-poultry-remedy.html
Can you please post photos of your chick and it's eye? Do you see the worms moving in it's eye? Symptoms? IF you really are dealing with Eye Worms instead of Respiratory Disease, it would be better to treat with Valbazen as described in this link. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/eye-worm.508526/post-19866503

Eye worms need to be pressed out. (see video below) If it's pus from respiratory disease, that also needs to be removed, the eye flushed and your eye ointment applied.

https://www.chickenheavenonearth.com/eye-worm-physical-removal-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html

Thank you for getting back to me. I live in Florida. I will take a picture and post. Your advice is greatly appreciated. After I post a picture if you can, verify what I'm dealing with. Thank you

20200513_162043.jpg

Thank you for getting back to me. I live in Florida. I will take a picture and post. Your advice is greatly appreciated. After I post a picture if you can, verify what I'm dealing with. Thank you
Only a vet could verify with testing. We are not vets, just chicken keepers like you.

Hard to tell if it's got respiratory disease or possibly Wet Form of Fowl Pox. What does the inside of the beak look like, any foul odors?

I would continue to flush with saline and clear the bubbles away and apply the eye ointment 2-3 times a day. A lot depends on what it is - an antibiotic may also help.

Thank you. It's MG bubbles/foaming in the eyes. Very disappointing. I separated the 2 with symptoms the barred was the worse and the other only minimal symptoms. I wonder if my small group is infected prior to separating, none showing systems. Any recommendations on treatment? I'm thinking tylan

Thank you. It's MG bubbles/foaming in the eyes. Very disappointing. I separated the 2 with symptoms the barred was the worse and the other only minimal symptoms. I wonder if my small group is infected prior to separating, none showing systems. Any recommendations on treatment? I'm thinking tylan
The bubbly eyes very well could indicate MG, but you are in FL so it could be Wet Form Fowl Pox which is a virus. Does she have any lesions, yellow patches, etc inside her beak? Any bad odors?
The scabby looking tissue around the eye is concerning. If there's pus then it needs to be pressed out.

Tylosin can be used to treat symptoms of MG you can order it online. The eye still needs to be cleaned/ointment applied 2-3 days.
IF MG, then yes. Everyone she was with I would consider exposed. If you have other chickens, then I would also consider them exposed too. MG makes birds carriers for life regardless if they recover and/or never show symptoms.

Thank you for all the advice and guidance it's greatly appreciated. I will get a handle on this and hope they all do well

I had a rooster with eyeworm, and VetRX didn't work for him. Corid (amprolium) is used to treat coccidiosis, an infection of coccidian protozoa. However, I'm not sure it's effective as a dewormer in most cases.

What did work very well for my rooster was Valbazen (albendazole 11.36%, 113.6 mg/mL). It's a broad spectrum, oral suspension dewormer.

The treatment goes as follows:

1: Mix equal parts Valbazen and water. Pour into chicken's eye(s).
2: Give 1/2 cc Valbazen orally, undiluted. Repeat the oral dosing after 10 days.

The first step is to kill the worms in the eye, and the second is to kill the worms internally.

Back
Top Bottom