How to remove stuck eye worm? Please help!

Redwillow11

Hatching
May 13, 2024
one of my chicks has what I suspect(ed) is an eyeworm. My chicks are about 4 weeks old. At around 2 weeks old, I would let them poke around in my yard on nice days. At about 3 weeks old, I started putting them in their run during the day but still keeping them in my garage at night. Two days into letting them in the run, I noticed my girl with a red, closed eye. I searched and searched what it could possibly be and google images of eye worm look just like what she has. I was puzzled though because I live in Nebraska and eye worm is typically caused by cockroaches. My best guess is she was eating earthworms as they can also be a vector for it.

I followed advice posted on this forum to treat my flock with Valbuzen. I am isolating my bird with eye worm. I also used 1/2 Valbuzen and 1/2 water to rinse out her eye. I did this 4 days ago- But the dang thing will not come out! It is ferociously attached to her inner eyelid. I don’t see any other worms or eggs, but she gets more and more agitated each night I try and clean it out.

I have watched every YouTube video known to man about how to remove eye worms, to no avail. To rip this thing out would certainly be extremely painful and I don’t want to cause irreversible damage to her eye.

I don’t have saline solution but plan on getting some tomorrow to try and rinse it. The Valbuzen rinse did not seem to change anything. I put some Vaseline at the base of her eye.

Other than a trip to the vet, which I admit is a big bill to stomach, what else can I do for her? Will this thing come out on its own? Will it ever die and release its horrendous grip?!

This is my first time post. I appreciate you reading it, and any advice you have. This forum has already been a huge source of support and help!

Attachments

• 626A1FF0-BB50-4699-A70B-2636A9C30C43.jpeg
    626A1FF0-BB50-4699-A70B-2636A9C30C43.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 43
  • B9E4A5F3-6BE6-475A-AED3-106A375B615B.jpeg
    B9E4A5F3-6BE6-475A-AED3-106A375B615B.jpeg
    468.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
It sounds like a piece of tissue that is growing from the eye. If it was pus stuck, the rinsing should have gotten it out with a QTip. I would see a vet or try to gently remove it. If it is attached, I would not try hard since it may bleed and injure the chick.

Back
Top Bottom