Help! Can someone please help me identify the predator that killed over 1/2 of my flock

My guess would be a dog or cat. If your dogs go nuts over other dogs but pay no mind to cats prowling around...perhaps a cat is your culprit. Cats "on the hunt" are very quiet. I have to agree with the other posters that animals in the wild don't leave their supper behind.
The cats are around all the time and have never bothered with them before would it be odd for them to attack all of a sudden? Is it possible a animal in the wild killed more than they could carry? There are 3 chickens unaccounted for and feather evidence and unshelled egg of the smaller buff silkie

The cats are around all the time and have never bothered with them before would it be odd for them to attack all of a sudden? Is it possible a animal in the wild killed more than they could carry? There are 3 chickens unaccounted for and feather evidence and unshelled egg of the smaller buff silkie
Feral cats are more aggressive hunters than your typical house cat. Perhaps your MIA chickens are traumatized and hiding somewhere?

I just talked to a guy down the road that has chickens to warn him and he said he would bet on a fox, he said this time of year they will kill multiple chickens, take what they can and come back to get the others to bring back for their babies. He has trail cameras set up and said he has watched it happen and has trapped them before but does this sound plausible?

I just talked to a guy down the road that has chickens to warn him and he said he would bet on a fox, he said this time of year they will kill multiple chickens, take what they can and come back to get the others to bring back for their babies. He has trail cameras set up and said he has watched it happen and has trapped them before but does this sound plausible?

Yes.

I'm so sorry for your loss. With that many known predators around I'd be building an enclosed run. Free ranging and the attacks are just too heart breaking.

Yes they will. Had a fox kill 5 here Sunday morning before my husband interrupted the attack.

Thank you. We do have an enclosed run but they have scratched the area down to dirt and I feel bad leaving them locked up. I appreciate what you are saying but I honestly would rather not have chickens if I have to keep them locked up. I expect to lose a few here and there and am ok with that knowing my chickens lived a happy life but 6 out of 10 is just devastating. It has been 2 years since we started and we have lost 2 to predators, obviously upsetting too but I can live with that.

Good to know, my neighbor monitors them with trail cameras and said late April into May is the worst time because they have babies to feed, he said he has seen the mom come with the pups and because they are so smart they knew what time he let them out and would see them coming the same time everyday. All of this information is so useful because I feel like if I know what it is I would know how to protect them better. I think I will keep them in their enclosed run for a couple weeks and hope for the best one the fox family moves on. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom