Rebeccama7775

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2020
Yesterday I woke up and saw my polish rooster acting weird. He was standing up with his tail pointing down towards the ground. At first I thought he was just cold because this is the coldest it has been this year (55F low) and thought he would probably warm up and be okay. Today when I woke up he was the same way and he continued sluggish. He sat down and just kept sitting while all the other chickens were bustling around him. When I fed them, he got up then lost his balance and sat down again. He did this a few times until the hens settled down then he went to go eat with them. I’m concerned because he was moving slowly but I’m glad he ate. By the time I get home he’ll be asleep but I’ll post pictures of him tomorrow morning. Does anyone have any ideas of what is wrong? He has a reputation for being clumsy and hyperactive, so it’s completely possible that he sprained something but I am wondering if he is sick and how to tell. Is his leg broken? Is he cold? Is he sleepy? Could it be Marecks disease? Should I bring him inside? He’s struggled with symptoms like this in the past. Last November he was like this for 3 months. It looked like he had a broken toe so I put a splint on it because it seemed to help him walk and he went right back to normal after a month. I’ll take a closer look at his legs later tonight or tmrw, but does anyone have any ideas what’s happening or has anyone gone through this?

Yesterday I woke up and saw my polish rooster acting weird. He was standing up with his tail pointing down towards the ground. At first I thought he was just cold because this is the coldest it has been this year (55F low) and thought he would probably warm up and be okay. Today when I woke up he was the same way and he continued sluggish. He sat down and just kept sitting while all the other chickens were bustling around him. When I fed them, he got up then lost his balance and sat down again. He did this a few times until the hens settled down then he went to go eat with them. I’m concerned because he was moving slowly but I’m glad he ate. By the time I get home he’ll be asleep but I’ll post pictures of him tomorrow morning. Does anyone have any ideas of what is wrong? He has a reputation for being clumsy and hyperactive, so it’s completely possible that he sprained something but I am wondering if he is sick and how to tell. Is his leg broken? Is he cold? Is he sleepy? Could it be Marecks disease? Should I bring him inside? He’s struggled with symptoms like this in the past. Last November he was like this for 3 months. It looked like he had a broken toe so I put a splint on it because it seemed to help him walk and he went right back to normal after a month. I’ll take a closer look at his legs later tonight or tmrw, but does anyone have any ideas what’s happening or has anyone gone through this?
Hmm. Maybe he has coccidiosis? @azygous

From your description of his behavior, he may struggle with vitamin B deficiency from time to time. Vitamins 2, 6, and 12 all regulate nerve connections. Deficiency can cause lameness and balance issues. Treatment is very simple, cheap, and easy. Just get a bottle of B-100 complex from the store and give him one tablet each day directly into his beak. This will either fix his problem or rule it out. Add a vitamin E capsule to the B-complex tablet each day for good measure.

Update: He passed away in the early morning hours of December 4, 2021. I still do not know what the cause of his death was. Thank you to everyone who offered advice and support, I really appreciated it. He was one of the best roosters I have ever had, and he will be missed by many. I am so sorry I could not save you Polaca. Rest in peace, beautiful boy.

Back
Top Bottom