(Introduction)
I’ve always wanted chickens to experience the whole egg/chick experience. But I’ve always been in suburbia “not zoned for chickens!☹️ BUT I’m experiencing the egg/chick thing with QUAIL! For 10 months now, I now have 9 female quail (the males are at freezer camp)😡. I purchased them from Myshire Farms, Jumbo Wilds– Coturnix Quail Hatching Eggs. My favorite aspects of raising my “garage” covey is that I love the relationships I’ve developed. Do you know I have 3 girls that do that occasionally do that egg-layer-song in the morning when I turn on their light & open the door to the yard. I’m eager to feed them, listening to their responses/chirps, creating diy food, prep produce food + AM/PM refills of layer crumble. They enjoy getting out of their Wynola Ranch cage & into the portable yard chicken run. My hobbies are: canning, making yogurt, soft farm cheese, reading, facilitating a Zoom Fellowship, pistol shooting. Not in that order :). We, my husband & I, care for an elderly parent along with a Tibetan Lion known as Senge (Shitzu). I’m a healthcare manager on an extended sabbatical 😁 and a licensed minister. I found BYC when I searched for more diy quail recipes and have known about your website since last year when I researched starting a covey. Looking fwd to reading in here 👋🏻.
Well God Bless You and welcome here. I started my flock of chickens 2 years ago and they are great entertainment for sure. Please pm me about your soft cheese I'm a canner too. I've just recently dehydrated some eggs and water glasses a few quarts. Welcome here.
Lam 3: 21-23.

(Introduction)
I’ve always wanted chickens to experience the whole egg/chick experience. But I’ve always been in suburbia “not zoned for chickens!☹️ BUT I’m experiencing the egg/chick thing with QUAIL! For 10 months now, I now have 9 female quail (the males are at freezer camp)😡. I purchased them from Myshire Farms, Jumbo Wilds– Coturnix Quail Hatching Eggs. My favorite aspects of raising my “garage” covey is that I love the relationships I’ve developed. Do you know I have 3 girls that do that occasionally do that egg-layer-song in the morning when I turn on their light & open the door to the yard. I’m eager to feed them, listening to their responses/chirps, creating diy food, prep produce food + AM/PM refills of layer crumble. They enjoy getting out of their Wynola Ranch cage & into the portable yard chicken run. My hobbies are: canning, making yogurt, soft farm cheese, reading, facilitating a Zoom Fellowship, pistol shooting. Not in that order :). We, my husband & I, care for an elderly parent along with a Tibetan Lion known as Senge (Shitzu). I’m a healthcare manager on an extended sabbatical 😁 and a licensed minister. I found BYC when I searched for more diy quail recipes and have known about your website since last year when I researched starting a covey. Looking fwd to reading in here 👋🏻.
Welcome to BYC!!

Attachments

• FF34B973-4A4E-40E6-A00C-8236A8A31E7F.jpeg
    FF34B973-4A4E-40E6-A00C-8236A8A31E7F.jpeg
    976.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 1E233844-CE94-4DA5-8065-8D0E60C5EB53.jpeg
    1E233844-CE94-4DA5-8065-8D0E60C5EB53.jpeg
    548.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 14F06F32-4CE1-42EC-AF3A-40A828C4B12F.jpeg
    14F06F32-4CE1-42EC-AF3A-40A828C4B12F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Well God Bless You and welcome here. I started my flock of chickens 2 years ago and they are great entertainment for sure. Please pm me about your soft cheese I'm a canner too. I've just recently dehydrated some eggs and water glasses a few quarts. Welcome here.
Lam 3: 21-23.
The soft cheese is just strained Greek yogurt (from Instantpot yogurt, whole milk +1 tbsp Greek yogurt). Once milk is boiled from setting let cool to 111 F add 1-2 tbsp of plain yogurt. Let set in warm temp button for at least 18 hours. Take out & strain it in cheesecloth for 12 to 24 hrs in the fridge. At this point salt can be added for taste- at this point It never lasts long as we love to add a dry onion mix or dill… we love it with crackers… very simple not fancy.

To make this entry BYC worthy… here’s my recipe for my quail (an occasional treat). Originally from Wynola Ranch website but I tweaked it! My ladies need the calcium so I leave shells on eggs.
Just combine:
  • 3 large boiled eggs crushed pea-size
  • 1/2 c rolled oats uncooked
  • 1/2 slice whole wheat toast, crumbled
  • 2 tbsp milk or cream
  • 1 pinch garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast (if limping or star gazing behavior starts)

Attachments

• 1333612D-0A01-44B8-AFF0-02EC054B64A1.jpeg
    1333612D-0A01-44B8-AFF0-02EC054B64A1.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom