He won't stop crowing!!! He just keeps crowing and crowing and.......

okiemommy

Mother of 5, Prisoner to None
11 Years
May 26, 2008
Okla-Homa
What can I do about my Bantam cochin cockeral? He starts crowing at 10:00PM, and just keeps crowing and crowing 20-30 times in a row! And he crows in the middle of the night; two, three, four 'o clock in the morning even.

We can sleep through him, but I bet the neighbors don't appreciate it. I haven't been over there to talk to them about it yet, to ask them if they can even hear him, but their house is on their property line, and is only about a hundred yards from our house. I will get rid of him if I have to, because who wants to listen to 20-30 rooster crows at 10 at night, 3 in the morning, and then again at 5:30, but I would appreciate any advice on how to get him to stop if possible.

I don't want to get rid of him unless I absolutely have to. He's really pretty, though he's a pain in the rear end, and I am currently working with him using Rooster-red's rooster behavioral modification plan, so if that happens to not work, I will have to get rid of him.

Selling him, re-homing him, and eating him are last resorts.

I know they say roos crow just because they can.... but I notice that some things trigger my roos to crow...... Like yesterday I was dusting them all with DE and they were screaming bloody murder, sending all the rest into the bushes to hide. Finally my head roo Spaghetti comes around the corner and peeks... yes, peeks,.... to see what is really going on... saw it was just me and some silly chickens
tongue.png
So he walks around front and starts crowing and everyone comes out.

They also crow when I pull up to the coop and again when everyone is put back in. They crow when I fill the feeder etc. So yeah, they do crow for no reason... but not as much as they appear to crow FOR some reason.......

Maybe something is stimulating him to crow like that.

Just an idea... maybe have a look around.

Last edited:
things i've found that makes roosters crow at night is lights, if they dont have a roof over them... They'll crow at the moon thinking its the sun (Leading to the "Its daylight" thought which.. most crow during the day), If a light (street light etc) Is shining on them. they'll crow because its keeping them up... Making them think yet again its daylight, and of course if something was pestering them that night and woke them up they'll crow... OR could just be a noisy rooster.

-Daniel

This suggestion will probably be impractical but I'll tell you anyway. I currently have a little bantam rooster that I have to keep in the house. (Long story, don't ask! LOL) Well, in order to keep him from crowing too early in the morning, after he's gone to sleep, I put him in a pet carrier and put him in a bathroom that has no windows and I close the door. He never starts crowing until I bring him out between 7:30 - 8:00. I'm not suggesting you keep him in the house all the time like I have to do but, maybe, bring him in once he's gone to roost and put him back out in the morning. If you dearly love him and want to keep him, it might be worth the trouble. Anyway, that's my suggestion. Good luck!

Last edited:
Rooster-red's rooster behavioral modification plan ? Your joking right ? There is such a thing ? I thought roos crowed becuase they could and that is about the sum of the sums of it.

The man upstairs is the only one i know of that know why roos crow. Here is another question. Why do guinea fowl vocalize when they do. Once again, the same answer.

Mine don't crow at night or anything but as soon as they see me out back or hear me around front they start in a crowing like they are trying to catch my attention.

I have heard there is a time when they are getting hormonal they crow a lot!!! After they grow out of that phase they crow on a more normal schedule.

This was very true with my male quail. I thought for sure I was going to have to give them up, but after weeks of crowing incessantly, especially at 5 am for an hour or more, they tapered off, and began crowing occasionally.
big_smile.png

Saved!

Thanks for your replies everyone! I have been uploading reunion pics with my BYC tab open, so I haven't been ignoring you folks. It is late now, and my brain doesn't function properly let alone this late. har har
roll.png
So I will reply to your replies tomorrow..or later on today actually
wink.png

ETA: He's quiet..for now!!! YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

Last edited:
It seems like any kind of light might do it, but that might depend on the individual Rooster.
We had to put up a dawn to dusk light outside our coop because of a problem with a wildcat that kept coming to visit.
we did question as to whether Buff would start crowing at night, but all he did was to start turning around on the roost with his back to the window so he couldn't see the light. Pretty soon all the hens were doing it too.

Back
Top Bottom