hatching chick issue?

potatoyay

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
today we had 4 chicks hatch successfully, and another which has unzipped but still stuck. it has a foot partially out, but it's been in there for 9 hours and 30 minutes. should we be concerned? the rest of them hatched in under 30 mins.

If it's fully zipped, I would pop the top off and get it out. Odd are good that if it has been stuck like that for over 9 hours, it has something wrong with it, but you won't know until you get it out. It's usually safe to assist chicks that have fully zipped.

If it's fully zipped, I would pop the top off and get it out. Odd are good that if it has been stuck like that for over 9 hours, it has something wrong with it, but you won't know until you get it out. It's usually safe to assist chicks that have fully zipped.
it's not like fully zipped all around, more so on one end. I think it should still be possible to pop the top off though.

it's not like fully zipped all around, more so on one end. I think it should still be possible to pop the top off though.
I would, but be prepared for there to be something wrong. There are reasons that there are people who never assist hatching chicks. In my experience, about 80% of the chicks that need help either don't make it or worse, have to be culled. I'm a sucker and usually try anyway because there's about a 20% chance that the chick will be fine.

I would, but be prepared for there to be something wrong. There are reasons that there are people who never assist hatching chicks. In my experience, about 80% of the chicks that need help either don't make it or worse, have to be culled. I'm a sucker and usually try anyway because there's about a 20% chance that the chick will be fine.
we were able to slightly chip away and it gave the boost it needed. the quail chick is doing great and very healthy :)

opinions on chick hatching position it pop lastnight around 10 PM ….this morning looked to be zipping then stopped it was making mouth eatin movements for the last few hours maybe it’s just wanting to take its time….. Two other chicks were hatched and had hobbeled all around moving all the eggs around the incubator. I’m just concerned this one looks a bit odd more like a hole rather than a zip going on and wanted opinions. I plan on leaving it alone till the 24 hour mark and hopefully someone give their opinion. I feel like it can’t zip because it’s beak may be in the wrong position.?!?!

Attachments

• IMG_5244.jpeg
    IMG_5244.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5245.jpeg
    IMG_5245.jpeg
    296.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5246.jpeg
    IMG_5246.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 4
When a chick makes a hole like that, it's having problems. IF you choose to assist, be aware that it probably is having trouble hatching because there's something wrong with it. You may be able to get it out of the shell only to have it die or worse, have to cull it.

When a chick makes a hole like that, it's having problems. IF you choose to assist, be aware that it probably is having trouble hatching because there's something wrong with it. You may be able to get it out of the shell only to have it die or worse, have to cull it.
Yeah I figured somthing was wrong with its position. Since I have 4 others that have pip imma just wait it out for a while till they come and see if it comes out on its own atleast until late tonight.

Back
Top Bottom