Has anyone used a plastic container as a brooder?

NO I don't use A plastic container...I use 5 of them
lau.gif
or 6 my basement is lined up with them.I like them better than a kiddy pool because I can line them up in rows.My basement is small and it's home to about 100 right now
hide.gif

I don't bother to cover them so the kids will perch on the edges and wander around more than they should so look where you walk.I do disinfect my floor frequently but they love to check things out.
I like the plastic because I can take it outside hose it out bleach it sun it and put it back over and over and they won't wear out.I don't worry about mold or anything because these little stink bombs are still under the same roof as I am so they get cleaned frequently-where is the smiley holding his nose
idunno.gif

I use all watts of light depending on the ages in the box..common sense works wonders for not melting the plastic.

Quote:
tongue.png
Hey, you sound like me last spring when I was brooding over 100 chicks, 3 different age groups, 3 different brooders!!
barnie.gif

It was then that I decided that a good broody hen could do a much better job that I could when it came to hatching out and raising up the babies!
hmm.png
But, I do have 30 campine babies coming to my house right after Easter, so I will be setting up the brooder once again! Although I still much prefer to let the hen do the hatching and brooding herself, campines are extremely hard to come by locally, so I will be brooding chicks again...
tongue.png

I was using a recycle tub with an old refrigerator rack over the top. Then I seen my sisters idea of cutting open the lid of a tub and using hardware cloth zip tied to it. It works great. And you can make several of them if you plan on having different aged chicks or waterfowl you want to keep separate. I've never had any issues with using a tub. I don't know who told you that, but they sure are wrong.

I got wonderful directions online for making a brooder using a plastic tub. When I went to tractor supply they told me that was a bad idea. Has anyone used a plastic container and had success? I am so confused!
I use them all the time. I cut the center of the top out and zip tie hardware wire on it. That gives me a way to set the heat light on top. And I use puppy pads in the bottom. I have never had any issues and I've been doing it for around 5 years now. My little sister gave me the used and she's been doing it a year longer than me. I included a stock photo from the internet. This one they used yarn. I don't like that because it gets wet when you clean them out. Yes Sometimes I have to spray them out because of the goslings and ducklings

Attachments

• 100_0522.JPG
    100_0522.JPG
    338.2 KB · Views: 0
I was using an old plastic recycle bin with an old oven rack till I seen my little sister using the hardware wire. I never had a problem with plastic.

Back
Top Bottom