Has anyone noticed this about Amberlinks??

NonnasBabies

Muddy Acre Farms
12 Years
Sep 20, 2009
Pride, La.
Anyone that has Amberlinks have you noticed that the ones that turn out to be roo's are the ones that have the brown coloring to their feathers?? I have 6 4 week olds and for sure have 3 roos because their combs are so much bigger, and getting pinker everyday. But I also just noticed that my other 3 that I'm almost positive are pullets are completly white no brown on them at all!! And they also have have way more feathers than the roos!!

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this!!

Missi

My cousin got some Amberlinks, and one turned out to be a roo and it looks just like what you said! He's pretty tho
smile.png

Here's the blurb on Wikipedia:
The Dekalb Amberlink is a very popular chicken for free range, cruelty free, alternative production methods. She is very adaptive to non-cage operation, forages well, and has excellent feather retention. The feather retention being one of her best features for free range farms and other operations where birds are retained past their peak laying period. Most popular in the United States in the 1970's, the amberlink is making a comeback as a common choice for small chicken farmers or hobbyists.

Mainly white with some amber brown feathers, the Amberlink is not currently recognized as a standard breed. She is often listed as either a hybrid resulting from reverse-crossing of the parent line. Amberlinks lay light to medium rich brown eggs, with an excellent rate of lay.

From McMurray Hatchery (about red sex links):
A "sex-link" chicken is one, which at time of hatch, can be sexed by its color. RED STAR: These hens will mature with feathers that are reddish brown with flecks of white throughout. The males are all white with nice yellow skin.

There are no male amberlinks because the actual nomenclature is amber sex linked pullets, the males are another color completely.​

Well all I can tell you is when I bought them they were all supposed to be pullets. You can buy pullets, cockrels and straight run from Mount Healthy where they came from. The pullets are supposed to be yellow and the roos almost completly white. All the ones I bought were yellow. There now about 4 weeks old....

Here's one of the roos!

41543_img_0215.jpg

Here's one of the pullets!
41543_img_0219.jpg

You can see a noticeable difference between the 2 colors, amount of feathering, & comb color!!

Missi

Anyone that has Amberlinks have you noticed that the ones that turn out to be roo's are the ones that have the brown coloring to their feathers?? I have 6 4 week olds and for sure have 3 roos because their combs are so much bigger, and getting pinker everyday. But I also just noticed that my other 3 that I'm almost positive are pullets are completly white no brown on them at all!! And they also have have way more feathers than the roos!!

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this!!

Missi
I'm from Indiana. First post here, if I recall correctly. I'm only 9 years late answering this question. About 2 years ago, we bought 8 Amberlinks. Four white and 4 amber. All laying hens. Foxes have gotten all but one, unfortunately. They lay the largest brown eggs I've seen to date. Someday I'd like to get more. Very independent birds, which is why they were so easily targeted by the foxes. We now have a Doberdor, who guards the birds most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom