Has anyone ever leased a horse?

Leasing a horse is pretty common. If they run a boarding or lesson barn they may have done this a number of times before and may already have a contract for you to sign, including the insurance type angle... although you need to look and think it over CAREFULLY to decide whether it's an ok arrangement for you.

If it's an in-house lesson-type lease, insurance is not such of an issue tho you still want things clearly in black and white -- particularly what happens if one party or the other wants out or the horse becomes less than fully useable. (A disadvantage of owning, and under some contracts also leasing, a horse is that whenever it is unrideable or less than fully useable, you can't ride much or at all -- sometimes done within a lesson barn setting there is a clause for substituting use of another of their horses if available, but you may not like whatcha get that way).

If it is anything else, you NEED insurance for both parties' protection (that is, you need to pay for mortality and probably also loss-of-use insurance for the horse's appraised value [or just plausible value, if inexpensive] -- this will add to the cost of the project, obviously); and you need a clearly worded contract regarding the abovementioned issue about what if someone wants 'out' of the contract for any reason... but there is also the thorny issue of responsibility for problems. If you will be riding the horse alone (i.e. not in a lesson) then you want to avoid a scenario where the horse comes back lame, or missing a shoe and half its foot such that it requires fancy shoeing and is only lightly rideable for some months, or develops a bad habit, and the horse's owner decides to do something dire because it's "your fault". Dire can range from unilaterally cancelling contract with no refund (no matter what the contract says -- you would have to take them to court, $, to do anything about it), to wanting you to pay vet/shoeing/etc bills because you "did it intentionally or thru massive negligance", to just blackening your name all around town as "the kid who ruined <horse's name> forever".

Don't think it can't happen, because i've seen all of these scenarios and more, more than once.

So, you need to be thoughtful and careful about what you sign to in a contract. Which is to say, make sure your PARENTS are thoughtful and careful about it. There are alllllllllll sorts of things that can go wrong with a horse, and it is reaaaaallllllly easy for two parties to disagree vividly over whether it was avoidable or intentional or negligence or what.

Generally a lease is less "fraught" than taking a sale horse on trial, though... now THERE'S something with a fairly high backfire rate
smile.png
Leases don't seem to go wrong too often IME (well, not *badly* wrong), it's jsut that when they do, you really wouldn't like it.

Good luck,

Pat

DD has leased acouple times, she is currently leasing for her and her son. Her's has been a good experience.

Cost depends on the situation.
I have leased horses out from free on up.

If you really like the horse and enjoy the riding time then this is a great way to go.

Right now it often cost more to board a horse for a month then the cost of the horse.
Have fun!

Quote:
It's quite common. It's a good arrangement if someone has a horse they don't have time to ride but don't want to sell, or to help share costs/workload (half lease). It's also common in show circles (ones that allow for leasing), some people have horses as an investment with someone else doing the showing. In our part of the world stud horses are sometimes leased to bring new blood in without the expense of buying the horse, or broodmares are leased. Then there's feed leases; you pay the bills, you get to use the horse. I've never heard of anyone leasing a ranch horse though. How good the deal is often depends on where the horse is kept (and what the horse is like!). If someone keeps their horse at a boarding stables, the bills are going to be much higher than if they keep it in their own pasture.

Pat's right about having a horse on a trial basis being frought. I don't think I ever want to do that again, it makes you scared to go outside and check on them, especially when you've decided you don't want the horse in question!

I did what I called a "Free-Lease once" The lady paid the board on her horse and all the vet care and let me ride it and show it in 4-H. It was a great deal but now days insurance would be a huge issue. Make sure you work out a contract. I also did a lease out on my mare once. They paid all the vet bills and I got a free breeding to their stallion when they returned her to me. They got to keep the foal that was born on their place during the 2 years they had her leased from me.

done it once with my miniature horse herd and never again. It was the person who leased from me had a "remorse" and rant and rave that my stallion was infertile. Well that stallion produced many more foals for me after the following years until I gelded him. Whats worse was my stallion was so underweight and I was reaaaaaaallly
somad.gif
. Glad she didnt have any foals from my stallion and the contract was legally bound and she was threatened to take me to court. My father was a lawyer student and he said that she does not have a leg to stand on in court and was bluffing. So I was glad to get my herd back and sold them five years later and they are still doing well so far! Never again with this lady AND I will tell folks NOT to buy her minature horses!

Back
Top Bottom