Has anyone else ever had a kitten nurse this long?

Smartie_Pants

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Madisonville, KY
We are OVER RUN with stray cats, and we don't have the money to get them fixed, especially since they aren't really ours. One had babies in April. We only have two out of that litter, but one refuses to quit nursing! He's four months old, and after he was seperated from his mom and her milk dried up, he's started nursing off his older sister! She is barely producing milk and can't even feed her own babies as it is! Why won't he stop? Has anyone else seen them nurse this long?

1616.jpg

3000.jpg

I once had a grown tomcat that would still nurse because his mother let him. BTW, sometimes the humane organizations offer or tell you where you can get discount neutering, particularly for feral cats. Call around. Can't hurt.

I've got a 9 year old "kitten" (looks almost exactly like yours, in fact) who's been sucking on his own forearm since I got him at 5-6 wks old. He works the fur up into a 'hair nipple' and then proceeds exactly as if he were on his mommy. Several times a day, especially at bedtime. Since he is 9 YEARS old now, I assume he will be doing it til he dies of old age <shrug>

I know that's not *exactly* the same thing, but at your kitten's age I'd say it's basically habit/comfort nursing not actual nutrition, so, maybe not actually THAT different from my cat's. In my cat's case, I was *told* he was 6.5 wks old and weaned when I adopted him, but as it turns out he was probably closer to 5 wks old and not actually weaned at all (had to syringe feed him for the first couple weeks I had him)... but I am sure that some individuals could continue with comfort nursing even if they remained with their momcats, just because of quirk of personality and available opportunity. (A lot of momcats would just say NO at some point, though
tongue.png
)

So, you may just have a weird cat
tongue.png

You might have to separate him from the older sister with kittens, if she's having a hard time already. That might 'wean' him, or if not at least it would spare the health of the kittens and their mother, which is probably important.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

If anyone has ever read the James Herriot series, remember the one where he went to the old farm and had to do something to a bull and was just dreading going, because the old farmer had no where to pen the animal up, it was up and over the dale trying to catch him. When he got there, the old farmer looked at him and called out and an old milk cow came over the hill. The bull ran to her and fell to his knees and nursed like a baby. Herriot looked at the old farmer just dumbfounded, and the old guy chuckled, and said, "its his mama", like that said it all. I also have a theory about the male species and breasts, but its not for this forum.
wink.png

Quote:
My kids found a little make tom cat one time, and he was so tiny but able to eat on his own, he nevertheless nursed himself on his belly. Would make a hair "point" and almost work himself into a frenzy over it. I always thought he was weaned way too young, and this was his pacifier.

I also have 2 cats that nurse! One is 7 years old and he nurses on anything wooly, like the inside of a coat or a really soft blanket. I raised him from 2 days old, so I always thought he did it because he had no 'cat" mommy....but I guess thats not the case!

The other one is 8 and she nurses on my other cats armpit ??!!?? They lay together all the time and M
adeline lets her do it, so I guess if they are happy!

But in your case, I am sure if the nursing on the nipple continues, it will cause irritation. I have no advice as to what you should do, but I am sure someone else here will!

Back
Top Bottom