Hard boiled eggs are hard to peel .

neilgal

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
Las Vegas
My girls are one year old. All of them laying beautiful, and delicious eggs, the problem is every time I am making hard boiled eggs the shell staked to the egg white , and it's impossible to peel it without loosing a good amount of egg white.
Dose anyone have any suggestion ?

Bring your water to a rolling boil, add room temp eggs (mine are usually only a day or so old), boil for 10 minutes, then place the eggs in a cold water bath until cool.

Works for me every time and I always have a dozen hard boiled in the fridge!

gryeyes is right -- you need to let your eggs age a little before you hard boil them. Then they'll peel cleanly.
yippiechickie.gif

That is it right there.....fresh eggs will not peel. So, maybe keep a second eggs carton just for boiling eggs and date it so you will know how long you have had them. Read a post that said eggs we buy in the store are over 45 days old by the time we buy them. My girls are not laying yet but I am really looking forward to tasting the difference!

There are lots of threads on this site that offer solutions to that problem. One solution I've tried is to add LOTS of salt to the water (like 1/4 cup). It worked for us.

The fresh eggs won't peel just isn't true. As I said mine are always only a day or so old, I have even boiled some the day they were laid! When I use the method posted above they peel better than any I have ever bought at the store.

Give it a try!

I had the same problem, then I asked a lady who raised chickens for years. She told me the magic secret - right after boiling, put them in VERY ice-cold water for just a couple of minutes, then quickly peel them, dip in the cold water if you need to as the shells come off. Works beautifully.

Quote:
Hey, I said I was lazy. I know how to do it right, but I actually use a microwave oven and a little egg cooker thing to hard boil my eggs. Lazy, lazy, lazy. Don't like standing over pots of water waiting for the full boil, paying attention to a timer, or promptly dumping eggs into cold water. I put water in to the line, put the egg holder part on, put in four eggs out of the "save for hard boiling" stash, put the top on, and microwave on high for 8 minutes. And if I leave it in the microwave for an hour or so because I forgot I was "cooking" something, no biggie. Business as usual at my household.

big_smile.png

Last edited:
Here's the method I use and it works perfectly:

Bring water to a boil, using a ladle, add the eggs to the boiling water. Cook about 16 minutes, then pull the eggs out of the boiling water and plunge in ice water. Leave them in the ice water until the eggs are completely cold.

I've done this with eggs laid the same day, and they peel beautifully.

Back
Top Bottom