Halfmoon, NY chicken laws?

Bernaner

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 13, 2019
hi all, I’m new to this and it’s the weekend so I can’t call the town offices - does anyone know if backyard chickens are allowed in Halfmoon, NY? And if so, what the restrictions are? I searched the town website to no avail... thanks!

You need a copy of the ordinances. That's the bottom line. Most cities have a link to them on the website but you can get one from the city clerk.
Don't ask any official or you may get erroneous information based on their opinion and not the written ordinances.

You must go here https://ecode360.com/HA2075 and look around. Search for "livestock" and also, the zoning of the tax parcel you are chiCkening up. If any officious Person objects, demand a citaytion in the Code. You may also wish to get on the County to play it Safe, and possibly Ag and Markets in Albanie.

hi all, I’m new to this and it’s the weekend so I can’t call the town offices - does anyone know if backyard chickens are allowed in Halfmoon, NY? And if so, what the restrictions are? I searched the town website to no avail... thanks!
Wondering if this question was ever answered. Live in Halfmoon for 8 years and still can’t get a clear answer. I know this post was a few years ago.

Wondering if this question was ever answered. Live in Halfmoon for 8 years and still can’t get a clear answer. I know this post was a few years ago.

Typically, the answer depends on your zoning. As the poster above in 2019 offered, the code is here. A few keyword searches, and you can generally find what you need.

For instance, a search on "Poultry" indicates that places used for raising/keeping them are, by definiton of the code, a "farm".

Farms are permitted by Halmoon's zoning only in lots of a rather significant minimum size, zoned A-R or R-1, per schedule A* (technically, farms are also allowed in R2 and R3, but it doesn't appear that any lots are large enough to meet the size requirements)

and frankly, this isn't really a difficult question. You can't even have a DOG in Halfmoon, unless its licensed. Of course you can't have backyard chickens.

Back
Top Bottom