Guineas and neighbors?

Smeamers

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
DH and I would like to get guineas, but I'm worried about angering the neighbors with their noise. We're outside of town in area with a few farms nearby, some woods, lakes, etc, so there is definitely a country mindset. However, on our road everyone has just a few acres so our houses are still close enough that we hear each others dogs and kids. The neighbors on one side are our friends and they'd also like guineas, but I'm worried about the other neighbors (and the rest of the street for that matter). Does anyone care to share what their neighbors thought of the guinea noise? The neighbor I'm worried about is very prim and proper and I'm not sure how he'd feel about them wandering over to his yard.

You must have your neighbors permission if your birds will be on him. Most states have laws to protect land owners from this. I have my own birds but if my neighbors birds came on my place I would cull them for him because I don't need strange birds in my flock.

Last edited:
We talked to our neighbors before we got our guineas. They not only were fine with us getting them, but say if they work out for us, they may want to get some too!
lol.png

We live on 4 acres. There is a house to the right and 2 in front of us. I had guineas and then sold them. My roosters crow occasionally. My geese alarm occasionally. But those guineas never stopped. One would fly out over the fence and then the entire lot would scram and scream and scream. of course I would try to catch it put it back in, but that never worked. They were soooooo loud.

My neighbor's never did complain. But, the guineas got on my nerves so I sold them to be considerate. I have 7 roosters and no one has complained. Did not want to push it.

oh my, I am glad I stumbled upon this... I have only seen guineas from afar. I have done some reading on them and thought they would be great for protection since we are a bit rural. I had no idea that they were constantly making noise? What does it sound like? Is it super loud? I don't want to upset my neighbors, either!!
hmm.png

a whole bunch of

"or chee or chee or chee or chee"
"chitttaaaaaggggghhhh chitttaghhhh!"

and gonking noises that even sound like geese sometimes come from my neighbors large flock of guineas

he didnt ask any of the neighbors before he got them and at first they were quiet (he kept them in their coop which is almsot sound proof) and i had no idea what he had until i really listened one day and learned that they were guineas. ANywho... over time they grew on me I really like hearing them now. When I hear them really making racket I think to myself "hmm something really must be scaring them...OR it's a leaf blowing in the wind one of the two"
lau.gif

I'm getting some here eventually thanks to a wonderful BYCer!!!
hugs.gif

I dont care what colors they are or anything....I just want to see those funkies walk around and alert any scaries, and keep the tick population down. I dont have to worry about what my neighbors think because the one already has a bunch and the other says she can't hear his so...hmm she wont hear mine either now will she!?!?!
lau.gif

she's already going ot be hearing my young marans crowing here soon, my coturnix are already crowing (but they are mostly quiet being content with tehir girlfriends) and soon gobblers too!!!
big_smile.png
Her grandsons are loud enough .....so if she complains I sure cna complain too they are teenagers and scream like little girls constantly LOL.

Don't get me wrong. I think Guineas are beautiful. But like right now it is 7:49 am. All the windows are open. Horses, goats, chickens, geese and ducks are all happy and quietly eatting. When the guineas were here, it would not be so peaceful.

Another thing to consider. If you search you may find some threads, but some have had issues with their Guineas roughing up their chickens.

My neighbors used to have guineas which would come visit my property daily. They would stand on my deck looking in the door and making that ungodly noise.

I came to love that noise. Those guineas are gone, and now I have ordered my own.

We have 11 guineas. They have started wondering across to our neighbors property. I saw this and asked my neighbor if this bothered him he said no but he didn't know whether to pay me or charge me because on the one hand they were eating their pests all up and on the other hand they were getting fed!!
lol.png
We have great neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom