Greetings from Swarthmore, Pennsylvania

colinpurrington

Chirping
Oct 22, 2020
Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
We adopted two hens a bit more than a month ago so I guess it's time to stop lurking on this site. Our adoptees are Ella (an "Easter Egger") and Cleopatra (a Golden Laced Wyandotte), but we have an order in for three Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks, ETA early December. Am currently building a coop inside our decommissioned berry garden, which I'd made years ago to keep out squirrels and birds. Like all my projects, though, it's taking twice as long as I thought. Perhaps substantially longer. The girls are currently crammed into a prefab henhouse from Amazon (I think) that is falling apart and drafty and not especially well-designed even when new. Cleo (two-ish) is currently laying 4-5 eggs per week. Ella (older) is averaging zero but makes up for it with friendliness. Hopefully I'll be done with the new digs before temperatures drop. To be honest, I'm worried they will reject the new housing — will be interesting to see whether they decide to move in when I give them the keys.
IMG_8240 2.JPG

IMG_8251.jpg

Hello, Colin, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
They will not like the new housing at first. Mine didn't when I moved them from their first undersized 4'x8'coop to their now 8'x12' coop. But they acclimated just fine. When the new coop is ready, move them into it the morning and lock them in for the day and first night. Remove the old coop. They'll figure it out.
Congratulations on your new flock.

Last edited:
Ha, that's great. Thanks for the tip.

Hello, Colin, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
They will not like the new housing at first. Mine didn't when I moved them from their first undersized 4'x8'coop to their now 8'x12' coop. But they acclimated just fine. When the new coop is ready, move them into it the morning and lock them in for the day and first night. Remove the old coop. They'll figure it out.
Congratulations on your new flock.

We adopted two hens a bit more than a month ago so I guess it's time to stop lurking on this site. Our adoptees are Ella (an "Easter Egger") and Cleopatra (a Golden Laced Wyandotte), but we have an order in for three Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks, ETA early December. Am currently building a coop inside our decommissioned berry garden, which I'd made years ago to keep out squirrels and birds. Like all my projects, though, it's taking twice as long as I thought. Perhaps substantially longer. The girls are currently crammed into a prefab henhouse from Amazon (I think) that is falling apart and drafty and not especially well-designed even when new. Cleo (two-ish) is currently laying 4-5 eggs per week. Ella (older) is averaging zero but makes up for it with friendliness. Hopefully I'll be done with the new digs before temperatures drop. To be honest, I'm worried they will reject the new housing — will be interesting to see whether they decide to move in when I give them the keys.
View attachment 2425788
View attachment 2425789
20201109_231642.jpg
Happy Thanksgiving .jpg

Back
Top Bottom