Gosling Pulling on My Pants

wildpeas

Songster
7 Years
Mar 18, 2012
Port Orchard, Wa
I have two 2 week old Embden female goslings. One of them is very independent and likes to pull on my pants like they have offended her. She grabs the seam and pulls back and shakes her head from side to side. I am trying to discourage her by pushing her back but she is very persistent and I dont want to hurt her, she'd so small. If I keep pushing her she will eventually give up and go do something else but before I know it she's back at it. Any insight?

Any chance you have an old pair of pants to give to her so she can play with them?

Goslings love the pull-and-shake game. I guess it builds up their neck and bill strength and prepares them for pulling weeds.

My goose had a special relationship with the bead curtain:

Last edited:
I guess my main concern is that if I let her pull on my pants now then it will encourage her to bite my legs when she is full grown. Do they think like that?

I guess my main concern is that if I let her pull on my pants now then it will encourage her to bite my legs when she is full grown. Do they think like that?

My goose never pulls on my pants now - neither does she bite my legs. Or any other part of my clothing or my anatomy.

And she has lost all interest in the bead curtain.

Put her in time out and walk away. Create a safe area she can be outside in, but that you can leave. When she tugs, walk away. Oregon has mentioned before in other posts not to cuddle geese as it can create bigger problems down the road. I agree, it is one thing to have calm geese who are easy to work around, and another to have geese thinking pockets have food and it's ok to climb on or tug at you.

I would walk into and through the space she is occupying. You may have to walk in circles to get her to move away from you and not just move and come in at the side.

Flock master walks wherever he wishes and subordinate geese move out of the way. Make her move out of your way.

You can also carry an old broom and use the bristles to move her (gently). If you don't swat or poke, you won't provoke a fight response.

Hand feeding can cause nibbling and biting. Not only looking for food, but because when you give up whatever you are holding to the goose, you are putting yourself in the subordinate position. Remember, flock boss eats first and the rest wait and do not try to take his food.

I believe that cuddling geese causes behavior issues, and doubly so with a goose that already thinks it is acceptable to bite you.

Back
Top Bottom