Goose body language and other ???

This is an old thread, but with an excellent post

Quote:
I have two hens setting now and the males are all just hanging out so I thought it might be best to get them integrated before the goslings get here.

I'm one who has studied animal behavior my whole life and I have spent alot of time studying my birds.
I don't claim to be completely right in every detail but I am usually pretty dead on.

Trembling is a sign of nervousness or fear, sometimes can be combined with aggression- just means that they are nervous or afraid but determined to keep the threat back for a male or a female on the nest, I have seen it before they move away in the females.

Bending their neck in and lowering their head is a sign of submission/non aggression. My tame african greets me in this way when she gets up close to me. I have seen females greet males this way, and a sub male greet a dominant male this way. In chickens, especially between two rooster, the one who has it's head lower then the other is the dominant (err submissive- sorry) one. My pet goose sees me as part of her flock and so treats me like a dominant flock member.

The outstretched neck with yelling or hissing is a threat, an outstretched neck with chatter is a greeting...I think with the head stretching the intent is transmitted by the sounds they make. All my babies greet me with outstretched necks and chatter. The males of course especially when in breeding condition greet me with outstretched hyper lowered necks and hissing and sometimes trembling if they think I am going to grab them behind the head (to keep them from nipping me).

Voice gives an indication too- soft chattering or "moaning" means a pretty relaxed attitude, as they get stressed they get louder and sharper.

They are prey animals really. When you approach them dead on and looking directly at them if they are not tame and familiar with it they take that as a predatory act and the females will move away (unless on a nest) and the males will come forward and often threaten. If you approach them on an angle, especially with the closest shoulder to them tipped in towards your body (kind of like giving them the cold shoulder) and not looking directly at them, you can get alot closer without triggering them. When I want to take close up pictures and I'm trying not to get them up and moving I'll sit as close as they will let me and scooch backwards towards them on my fanny. Even most tame geese will stand when you go straight at them close up unless it's a female on her nest. Most of this time with this technique I can avoid them all jumping up and destroying whatever picture I am trying to capture. The way of moving towards them works with all prey animals wild and tame (wild animals you can't even get as close to but you can sometimes keep them from immidiately bolting) I have tried it on as well as nervous unsure dogs and cats.

To intergrate your babies it would be helpful if there was a way to cage them near the males every day for a couple days. At first the males will be aggressive and go to the cage screaming and honking and the cage protects the babies. As the days go by the males discover the babies arent a threat and are simply other geese and relax about it. When they stop threatening the babies and just mostly ignore them then you can release the babies. At first the males will chase them back from themselves, the females and sensitive areas but gradually they will let them in to the flock. Since you have 2 babies they will keep each other company until they are intergrated. The really important part is to get the males to the point that they are fairly non interested and non threatened by the babies...the rest will take care of itself.

Edited by Windchyme - 6/21/09 at 5:18pm

Last edited:
I have a question: the junior goosies at the park, that I have seen grow up from fuzzballs, including one junior duck, sometimes stretch their necks out and proceed to rub their chins and chests on me or my phone if i have it out..Its almost like an aggressive hug! Or they have itchy throats. Only the junior birds do this. They also know me well as I go there every day. They like to sit nearby after they are finished eating their grains I bring. I see the siblings do this to each other, too, so its not just to me. I cant find any ref to this behavior on the net.

Basically, they slowly draw near with their neck out and trembling, then WHAM it happens very fast, its a fast movement when, like a snake, they pounce like, and proceed to rub chins and necks, sometimes up to their chests, then its over. It's startling sometimes, but i've learned their moves and know when to expect it. Now the young female duck started doing it! Its not threatening at all, almost like they are giving you a quick affectionate mauling, lol. It startles the other siblings when one does it to them, usually rubbing their chins along their backs.

Anyone have any ideas?

CG

I raised my two girls separate from the flock till they had all of their feathers. I sat in a chair in the yard. I can't remember how old they were, just that it seemed like the right time, with them in my lap while the older hens and gander came up to me to see them. They were delighted with the babies, calling them to come into the flock. It was truly one of my most memorable moments.
I see that this was posted in May and it's now October. I hope your integration was successful. I would love to hear what happened.
Best~ Lea

Back
Top Bottom