Goose body language and other ???

pips&peeps

There is no "I" in Ameraucana
Jan 18, 2008
Newman Lake, WA
What does it mean when your goose "trembles" its head and neck? Is this a sign of submission or aggression? What about when they lower and curl their neck towards their body?

I am pretty sure when they stretch their neck and "yell" at you they are being aggressive. I was just wondering about the other "body language".

Last question for all you waterfowl owners out there. My first two goslings are almost fully grown. Their feathers are coming in nicely. At what age and how do I integrate them into the flock without worrying about them getting their butts whooped or possibly killed by the adults???

I have two hens setting now and the males are all just hanging out so I thought it might be best to get them integrated before the goslings get here.

The neck trembling and curling it towards its body is a sign of aggression. My white chinese geese do it to the other birds and then bite them if they don't move. My male goose started doing it to me about a month after he got territorial. Stretching their necks out is also another aggressive sign. Usually if I turn my back the male will stretch his neck out and run up behind to bite. I'm not sure at what age to put younger ones together though.

LOL - I thought that they were just chatting when they were stretching their necks!
smile.png
They still do the Peep-peep-peep-peep thing, especially when I peep back at them- they love it.
big_smile.png

My gooses defiinately don't bite me or anyone else, but they do chase the smaller gooses like that.

When a goose is stretching the neck out, they are warning you off for whatever reason they get into their little goosie brains.

Like Get Away From My Nest!!
2530121438_8ed2cf59db.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/duckavenger/2530121438/

When they do this, I walk to them and gently grab the back of the neck with one hand and hold the body down with the other. It shows I am the dominant goose. I allow a little latitude for broody geese, though. They are just being protective moms after all.
smile.png

When they do this
2263773445_9fe2e9d7d3.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/duckavenger/2263773445/

I walk toward them slowly, talking quietly. I have always had them back off. Geese are bullies. As with any bully, they are bluffers. Mostly.

Mine greet me like that - or so I thought! They stick their necks out and honk at me when it's feeding time, but they've never bitten anyone or chased them. They have frazzled the tail feathers on my chickens nibbling them though!

Back
Top Bottom