AngelOnFire23

Chirping
May 22, 2021
Today my dad and I were out at Tractor Supply running some errands. We didn’t expect there to be chicks there so late in the season, but there were over a dozen left in one container. One guy bought 10 since his flock of chickens are older and no longer laying. We started talking a
Our flock is down to 5, they’re very old and stay here with us (live out their retirement), and none are laying anymore. We weren’t planning on getting anymore for quite awhile. Aside from that, we had said, if we were to ever get more chickens, we want to feed them more organically and try to avoid soy, gluten, etc. especially since I have allergies to those and have trouble eating eggs that were laid by chickens who eat soy or gluten based pellets. Does anyone have any recommendations for food that would be good for layers once they’re done with their medicated chick feed and are able to move into the coop?

My dad was looking for some water filters for our conditioner, but they didn’t have any, so we walked around the store a bit and we left with 8 chicks! We asked what will happen if the rest don’t sell, and they kinda just shrugged it off and said they send them back to wherever they came from, but unfortunately it kinda seemed like they will just cull whatever doesn’t sell. I hope the 12 or so that were left get sold.

My mom is at work and doesn’t know so this will be quite a surprise. We’re gonna tell her “Tractor Supply didn’t have what we needed at two of their locations, so we got chicks instead.” 😂 They are soooo cute! We haven’t raised chicks in quite a few years so this was really exciting. We’ve never raised this breed before either so this will be interesting to learn more about them. We’d like to sex them if possible too.

EB6BEC9B-A46B-4B4F-851A-9BFF320DEE56.jpeg

Sooooo cute! We just got Wyandotte chicks a few weeks ago. The front isn’t a gold laced though, maybe a blue laced red? TSC is awful at giving accurate breeds 😅 Our first chicks came from there as gold laced Wyandotte and ended up being broilers… Most of yours look for sure Wyandotte though! They’re very frisky chicks, escaping the brooder by a week old. Feathering out very fast and almost fully feathered by 3 weeks old. Not cuddly like our last batch, but we haven’t held them quite as much be Ayse the kids are back in school

Attachments

• 7AAC00B1-12BE-4678-85A4-4E3B30FE4596.jpeg
    7AAC00B1-12BE-4678-85A4-4E3B30FE4596.jpeg
    451.9 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom