Goat getting ready to kid? Help?

VKat

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 10, 2014
I have a very sweet Nigerian Dwarf doe that I got along with a buck from a bad situation. I've had them about a month and a half, and have been slowly getting them introduced to goat foods and they have been pretty happy. When we got them, we were told the doe is probably pregnant.
I've been keeping an eye on her, and I'm starting to worry her time is coming- but I'm not sure.
She isn't all that big in the belly, but I started noticing a discharge from her.
This morning it seems like there is discharge and she is sort of flexing... I don't know how else to describe that, but her muscles there seem to visibly tense up and then relax. I have never noticed her do that before.

How else can I tell if she is getting ready to give birth?
These are my first goats and I could really use some experienced advice!
Thanks in advance!

Does she have an udder or is she making one? Is this her first time?
Read this: http://fiascofarm.com/goats/prenatalcare.html
It shows what to look for, what you need to do, and how to check the tail ligaments
Here is a video on it:

A question for you.. do you keep the buck and doe in the same pen all the time? If so, please separate them. He will breed her back right away and you DO NOT want that. It's too hard on your doe.

Does she have an udder or is she making one? Is this her first time?
Read this: http://fiascofarm.com/goats/prenatalcare.html
It shows what to look for, what you need to do, and how to check the tail ligaments
Here is a video on it:

A question for you.. do you keep the buck and doe in the same pen all the time? If so, please separate them. He will breed her back right away and you DO NOT want that. It's too hard on your doe.

Thank you! I will watch the videos. Visual is very helpful!
This will be her first time I think. Their history is not 100% certain. They are basically rescues.
They have been together, but I have a separate fenced area right next to the house with a new shelter full of fresh straw waiting to bring her to when it's time. I plan to be there just in case she needs help. I know she will want privacy, and to keep the buck away. I would never ever allow back to back breeding. That seems irresponsible and cruel to her.

She is skittish about being handled some still, but from what I can see, her udder isn't filling out, but I think it is a tiny bit lower. Unless that's my imagination. I don't think I could really see it at all before, and now I can see the teats from behind.

The buck has a new friend so he won't be alone. Will the new mother be okay just occupied with her babies, or should she have another doe around?

She will be fine with just her babies. Glad you got the buck a friend and you feel that way about breedings. Some people don't, so you have to bring it up.

She may or may not want privacy, either way, it will be good if during the process you get some of the birth goo on you and let her lick it off (if you can get in there with her). She'll bond with you that way and "hopefully" be less skittish. I do this with any doe I have that's skittish/shy and it has always worked.

Make sure you watch a few birthing videos and have an idea of what to expect and what to look for if you think something is going wrong. I always check when my girls start actively pushing to make sure you have two feet and a nose coming out. I've found it's easier to just check.. the sooner you check the more room you have to work with. Just make sure your nails are short and not sharp and hands are clean. Have some towels on hand in case you need to clear noses/faces. I like to use iodine to dip navels in.. some dont, but I still do. You can read on that and decide. :)

Have you given mom a CD&T vaccine? If not, I would recommend giving it to her now, and again in 4 weeks. When you give it to the kids depends on how much time has lapsed between her getting it and kidding. The dose is 2cc/ml subq, same dose for the kids. If they were rescues, you might also consider having some selenium on hand in case you have a deficiency. You'll know if your kids come out with week legs and walk on their "knees" or knuckle under when they walk.

Personally I always have a kid feeding tube on hand. You don't have time to get one when you need it.

Umm, trying to think what else might make life easier on you.. lol. If you have any questions, please ask!
Oh, and if she doesn't have any real udder going on, you've got a bit yet before kidding.

She will be fine with just her babies. Glad you got the buck a friend and you feel that way about breedings. Some people don't, so you have to bring it up.

She may or may not want privacy, either way, it will be good if during the process you get some of the birth goo on you and let her lick it off (if you can get in there with her). She'll bond with you that way and "hopefully" be less skittish. I do this with any doe I have that's skittish/shy and it has always worked.

Make sure you watch a few birthing videos and have an idea of what to expect and what to look for if you think something is going wrong. I always check when my girls start actively pushing to make sure you have two feet and a nose coming out. I've found it's easier to just check.. the sooner you check the more room you have to work with. Just make sure your nails are short and not sharp and hands are clean. Have some towels on hand in case you need to clear noses/faces. I like to use iodine to dip navels in.. some dont, but I still do. You can read on that and decide. :)

Have you given mom a CD&T vaccine? If not, I would recommend giving it to her now, and again in 4 weeks. When you give it to the kids depends on how much time has lapsed between her getting it and kidding. The dose is 2cc/ml subq, same dose for the kids. If they were rescues, you might also consider having some selenium on hand in case you have a deficiency. You'll know if your kids come out with week legs and walk on their "knees" or knuckle under when they walk.

Personally I always have a kid feeding tube on hand. You don't have time to get one when you need it.

Umm, trying to think what else might make life easier on you.. lol. If you have any questions, please ask!
Oh, and if she doesn't have any real udder going on, you've got a bit yet before kidding.

Thanks so much for the advice!
I have been online a bunch today whenever I can steal a free moment to google more info. That Fias Co Farm has great stuff. Thank you for that link!
Youtube has more videos that I've been trying to watch too.

I have not given vaccines. Is this something I can buy at Tractor Supply or a Southern States?
I read about selenium being important, so I made sure the loose mineral I got for them have that in it. She has been getting mineral daily.... but I do worry about whatever nutrition (or lack thereof) earlier may have been... These poor goats were being fed just rabbit pellets and corn before we got them :(
Is extra selenium a shot, or something you feed?

I'm taking notes, and have a list for the Kidding Kit. Tomorrow I go shopping. Here's what I have down. Please let me know if I need to add anything?

-gloves
-iodine 7%
-KY
-surgical scissors
-clean towling
-flashlight
-bucket warm water
-dial soap
-molasses
-hair dryer
-bottle with nipple
-formula
-extra straw
-feeding tube

adding:
-selenium
-vaccines

Sounds like you're pretty well prepared!! One thing I might add, we use sweet licks vitamins for our goats. Especially during pregnancy and kidding vitamin deficiencies go way up... I would do as much as you can to keep the vitamins up in your doe ;)

Sounds like you're pretty well prepared!! One thing I might add, we use sweet licks vitamins for our goats. Especially during pregnancy and kidding vitamin deficiencies go way up... I would do as much as you can to keep the vitamins up in your doe ;)

Is that in addition to the loose minerals? I have been giving her MannaPro loose minerals for goats every day.
Today I am going to TS to get all the things for just in case, so I can get a vitamin too.

What brand is best?

Also, can anyone tell me if there is ever a different reason a doe may have mucus back there? I want to be ready for anything with this doe since her history is largely unknown.

I haven't ever given the loose minerals as their mineral content is pretty low for the price. I do multimin 90 injections about every 3 months and the sweet licks.

For the mucous yes they get a very long slimy mucous plug that comes out when they are in labor. It is the consistency of like ky lubricant but it's a more cloudy. :)

What is a CD vaccine? Is "T" for tetanus?
I was at Southern States yesterday, and the people there didn't know what this meant.
My husband is going to stop at Tractor Supply on his way home from work for me. They have more stuff there, but it might help if I know what to ask for.

We got almost everything else ready to go!
I even grabbed some Kid Milk and Kid Colostrum by MannaPro. I'm hoping since these are powder formula they will have a decent shelf life. So if it's not needed this time, I will have them on hand for future times.

I think the discharge I was seeing is just some mucous- it isn't streaming or large amount at all yet. To be honest, I'm feeling way over my head here trying to tell how close she is to kidding. I tried feeling around the tail head, and think it feels soft. I felt my other Nigerian Dwarf doe who is not pregnant in the same spot, and yep- pencils! It really does feel just like pencils. On the pregnant doe I can't find the pencils, but my fingers don't touch. Also she doesn't have that sunken in spots look.
So now I'm thinking she could be weeks away, or days away....

I have the pregnant doe separated from the others now. She is staying in my future garden area right next to the house so I can keep a close eye on her and keep her company.
So far she seem okay with the arrangement (and extra hay!)
One thing else I am curious about- my buck was always chasing her about, and making advanced towards her. Now that she is away, he has settled down and not acting like that so much to the other doe. Is that normal?

Back
Top Bottom