Getting Baby Chicks from Rural King- Lots of ?s!

RidgeCreekFarm

Chirping
Apr 13, 2018
Camden, MI - Zone 5b
Hello!
We are wanting to bring home 6 baby chicks this weekend or early next week.
Planning on using a 2x2x4 Galvanized Stock Tank as a Brooder in the back bathroom, with at first a red heat lamp and then (when it finally gets here in the mail) a ceramic heat emitter bulb.

We were thinking about using Medicated Chick Feed for the first couple of weeks or so, while exposing them to dirt from the yard so they can build up immunities to whatever coccidiosis we have in our dirt, but not get overwhelmed with it.
Does that sound right?
Or are we thinking about this wrong?

How long does it take for immunity to develop? Is 2 weeks enough, or should we keep them on med feed longer than that? (We also plan to have Corid on hand, just in case)

Also, with a 25-30 minute trek from the feed store to their new brooder home, should we start them off on something like Sav-A-Chick electrolytes to help with the stress? Or is that overkill?

Have we missed anything?

I think the save-a-chick is always a good idea. I often bring home chicks from 2 hours away so as long as your vehicle is warm inside the chicks should make the trip just fine.
I never use medicated feed. Some people do and some are against it. So that's a personal choice. I only use a grower feed.
As far as giving them dirt I think you are more likely to bring in a problem than to solve one. Most of my chicks are given access to the outside dirt at around 4 weeks if the weather is warm enough.
Good luck with your new babies. :welcome

Thanks!
I've heard people talk about offering both sav-a-chick water and plain water. Is there a reason for that? And how long should we give them sav-a-chick before going to plain water with a little ACV in it?

I was reading on other threads that chicks build up their immunities in the first 2 weeks and that it was a good idea to expose them to dirt then, so now I'm a bit confused about that! :idunno

All brooders should ALWAYS have a thermometer placed at chick level to measure the heat produced by the lamp. Chicks will fry and die if too hot, or huddle and shiver if too cold.
Also the lamp needs to be only on one end. If they get too hot, they can escape the heat by getting out from under it at free will.;)

Thanks!
I've heard people talk about offering both sav-a-chick water and plain water. Is there a reason for that? And how long should we give them sav-a-chick before going to plain water with a little ACV in it?

I was reading on other threads that chicks build up their immunities in the first 2 weeks and that it was a good idea to expose them to dirt then, so now I'm a bit confused about that! :idunno

I will add save-a chick or broiler booster to the 1st water I give them but usually switch to plain water the next day.

In warm weather a hen will take her chicks out as soon as she is able to. I can't say whether the 2 week rule is true. I only know what I do. And I've never had cocci problems in any of my poultry.

more chich pics.JPG

Attachments

• cannaonwalk.JPG
    cannaonwalk.JPG
    502.4 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom