Moving chicks from brooder to coop

WingItRanch

Hatching
May 10, 2024
Hi there! First time chicken owner. I have 11 chicks and they are 6 weeks old, haven’t been on a heat lamp in a week or two, and are getting antsy in their brooder. I’m also ready to get them out of my guest bathroom!

I have a coop all ready for them. We had a ton of rain last night and the inside appeared to stay dry when I checked this morning. The run is not ready yet but I plan on moving the chicks to the coop today or tomorrow and keep them in there until run is fully complete and predator proof.

My concern is we have been having so many storms this season with tons of rain in East Texas. I’m talking record breaking rain. The high temperatures are in the mid to upper 80s, the lows mid to upper 60s. With the humidity and constant rain, is it safe to move the chicks to the coop?

Attached is a pic of my coop. I’ve blocked the screen on the door to keep it dry from rain. Eventually the run (with roof) will be attached to the front.

Attachments

• 4908AEE9-3761-4E10-A2B9-9FD3D7D7B02C.jpeg
    4908AEE9-3761-4E10-A2B9-9FD3D7D7B02C.jpeg
    661.1 KB · Views: 31
My chicks go out at two weeks, no matter what time of year.
I just cant stand the noise, smell and dust after that.
Most times they go out with a heat lamp with appropriate bulb, (I use household bulbs) so usually it might be a small 15 watt to wean them off the light until they are accustomed to the new environment.
So I think yours are certainly ready to get out of the house.

Good luck!

Thank you! I forgot to mention that I don’t have electricity at the coop which is why I’m a little nervous about moving them finally.

Thank you! I forgot to mention that I don’t have electricity at the coop which is why I’m a little nervous about moving them finally.
Oh, they're fine :). Mine went out at five weeks with a couple nighttime temps of 30 F. Just make sure they're not going to get wet and they have plenty of ventilation in the coop.

Do you know if the coop leaks? Does it flood? That's the only thing I would worry about. Last year I had a huge rain(atmospheric river) my run flooded up to my shins. In fact the whole yard did. I was very lucky the coop itself stayed dry. With them being so small that's what I'd worry about.

Do you know if the coop leaks? Does it flood? That's the only thing I would worry about. Last year I had a huge rain(atmospheric river) my run flooded up to my shins. In fact the whole yard did. I was very lucky the coop itself stayed dry. With them being so small that's what I'd worry about.
I checked the coop after a massive downpour and it was a little wet inside where the main door is but I covered that with plywood until I finish the run which will extend the rain protection. They still have plenty of ventilation.

Thankfully, even with near 30 inches of rain in one week, our property had no flooding since we sit a little higher.

I officially moved the teenagers out to the coop today and everyone who commented was right… the chicks seem much happier. Whew! Now to clean my guest bathroom….

Back
Top Bottom