i have a Little giant 2 gallon galv watered
It's just a year old
Whole inside is rusty

I called company and they said it happens
I have another that is really old 20 years maybe
Not a spot of rust

Water is not acidic or high mineral

Wth?

Any way to coat this or is it expensive trash ?

Personally, I would pitch it. You may have trouble with it leaking later on down the road.
Plastic waterers are good until it freezes, and we all know how long it takes for plastic to biodegrade.

Do you add ACV to the water, or clean with vinegar? I have the exact same brand and size.
I bought last year and have been using for 14 months. No rust inside, only surface rust on outside bottom. Mine stays in coop. I only clean with water and a new toilet brush with an appendage. Yea I bet that old one was made in USA. GC

I know they don't last like they did 20 years ago, but the Miller Little Giant lasts much longer than the Harris Farms at TSC. I only use mine in winter & I'm going into my 3 years. Sorry you are having a problem. I don't use any additives in my water.

I've seen lots of opinions on the galvanized waterers rusting, and whether they're safe. I pretty much assume that any standard spray paint is not going to resist water and remain safe for animals, but is there really *no* safe option? i.e enamel paints? appliance epoxy? Many of those are safe for incidental contact per the FDA. I realize holding water 100% of the time may not be considered *incidental* but it is just water, and technically it is *not* long term storage. i.e. the chickens drink the water fast, so concentration of leeched particles would have to be very low or it would not be considered safe.

The plastic ones have always been way too flimsy for my taste. They dry rot and crack in cold weather. Is there really no safe way to protect/preserve those metal waterers? It seems to me that even galvanization itself leeches off at some point, and that goes for plastic as well. So there's no permanent solution, but is there at least a *safe* solution for the metal ones?

FWIW - Here's something I might try:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pond-Ar...-Gray-Non-Toxic-Epoxy-SKU-GRAY-QT-R/203886511
It's pond epoxy. Specifically designed for constant exposure to water, and non-toxic. It says its safe for fish and plants. I realize it doesn't mention chickens, so I'll continue to research, but I think because its...
1) non-toxic and
2) epoxy as opposed to paint
Then it might work just fine.

Any thoughts??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom