Conflicting Info on Water Issues

I'm not a fan of galvanized water bowls, not because of the rust concerns after the gavanization is eaten away (either by wear or because of a reaction with the water chemistry - possibly aggravated by the addition of either vinegar or sats - such as an electrolyte addition) and it begins to leak, but rather because the zinc from the galvanization is of greater risk.

Lead levels in modern galvanization are pretty low - more likely to affecvt someone who spends a lifetime eating chickens who drink from those sources than the chickens themselves - and even then, chances are pretty low.

I use plastics. [queue the onslaught of "plastic bad!" people] Ultimately, everything will kill you. Doing nothing will to. Best you can do is check the table odds, and either find another table or rolls your dice and takes your chances.

I live in Kalispell. Have you ever thought of a nipple waterer? Mine is a 14 gallon tote with lid, 4 horizontal nipples, and a stock tank deicer that is rated for plastic. Has gotten as low as -26 at my house and the water has stayed thawed. Just bought a new tote as the old one is 2 years old. The plastic does get a bit brittle after a couple years of freezing and thawing. New one is 20 gallons and will get drilled for nipples tonight.

Some people swear by apple cider vinegar in the chicken's water. I don't know. Seems that just plain water is best, or at least that is my way of thinking. Can't help you with the galvanized waterer questions. I've never used one as I found out about nipple waterers my very first year of having chickens.
I would simply empty one of the waterers and turn it upside down in a warm place 'til it is dry. I would then wire brush, (a brand-new one, not the one you've used on your grill,) the rusty areas, and give them a couple of "light" coats of Rustoleum spray paint. (Four light coats are preferential, as opposed to one thick, heavy coat.) And keep that spray can moving! Just move the can from side to side across the rusted areas, depressing the nozzle just before you move across the affected area, (keeping the can level and at least 12 inches from the surface,) lifting your finger after you have passed the desired area. Remember, 90% of painting requires meticulous surface preparation. That should work for you.

Happy Thanksgiving, and with best wishes to you, and those you hold dear, I remain,

Zhevotnya

Back
Top Bottom