fuzzi's May (First Time With Shipped Eggs) Hatch-a-Long Thread, all are Welcome!

DAY 7

As the incubator has a candling light on it, I candled the "house" eggs this evening, day 7. They all had dark areas, though some had "saddle" darkness (on the side). In at least three I saw a distinct "eye", a dark spot about the size of a pencil eraser. And I saw one of them move a little!

:celebrate:fl:love

Candling the broody's eggs will be more difficult, as I don't want to bring them inside the house just to satisfy my curiosity. My flashlight doesn't work very well. I might try a couple when I go check on the flock before bed.

DAY 7

As the incubator has a candling light on it, I candled the "house" eggs this evening, day 7. They all had dark areas, though some had "saddle" darkness (on the side). In at least three I saw a distinct "eye", a dark spot about the size of a pencil eraser. And I saw one of them move a little!

:celebrate:fl:love

Candling the broody's eggs will be more difficult, as I don't want to bring them inside the house just to satisfy my curiosity. My flashlight doesn't work very well. I might try a couple when I go check on the flock before bed.
Not my photo, but looked kind of like this:
hredirect2 (3).jpeg

Photo from here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-pics-progression-though-incubation.261876/

Day 7, Part 2

I took a small LED flashlight out to the coop with me after dark. I removed the eggs from under Tamar one at a time and tried to candle them. I saw some darkness in 4 of the 6 eggs, but #4 and #7 look clear. I won't give up, yet.

Rahab was resting in a nesting box, but she was out and about earlier. I'm not convinced she's truly broody, not yet.

I am incredibly frustrated.
:he
While gathering eggs and cleaning waterers this afternoon I decided to check on Tamar's eggs. I lifted her off her nest...and there were NO EGGS. Seriously. They were in the straw, off to the side, and not warm.
:barnie
I put them back under her. I don't know if they got too cool and will die.
:hit

I am incredibly frustrated.
:he
While gathering eggs and cleaning waterers this afternoon I decided to check on Tamar's eggs. I lifted her off her nest...and there were NO EGGS. Seriously. They were in the straw, off to the side, and not warm.
:barnie
I put them back under her. I don't know if they got too cool and will die.
:hit
They will most likely be fine, as long as they haven't been uncovered for more than several hours it doesn't really hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom