fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Three months later, moving along...

I've decided to give "building it myself" a try, the outlay for a new coop is a little steep for my budget at this time.

A couple weeks ago I went to the post office in a small town nearby and they had a huge stack of almost new pallets by the parking area. I got permission to take some ("Please!" the postal clerk said) and brought home six. I have lots of hardware cloth (I've purchased partial rolls at yard sales and thrift stores) and have been thinking about what I want to do.

I don't want the coop way in the back, near the neighbors whose property is directly behind my yard, and out of sight by the woods. I'm thinking of tucking it in just to the left of the driveway, behind the chain link fence that encompasses our backyard. That location would mean I'd have existing chain link fence to build upon with chicken wire and hardware cloth. And it would be close enough to the house (15'-20') for easy access.

Attached is my not-to-scale thoughts from this morning.

Attachments

• 010423 Coop Yard Plans.jpg
    010423 Coop Yard Plans.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 15
Boy did I goof on the dimensions in that rough sketch (VERY rough!). I measured yesterday evening, the gap between the chain link fence and the shed is ELEVEN FEET!

Maybe I should consider putting the coop in that gap, using the shed and the chain link fence as support structures for my run fencing? There's about a foot gap UNDER the shed, I could hardware cloth the length of the shed (20'?) and the length of the chain link opposite. The chickens would not get much sun, but it's not totally shaded. It gets really hot here in the summer, so an abundance of shade and ventilation would be better I think.

We have a lot of wildlife, including a coyote my son saw a few weeks ago DURING THE DAY, so I hesitate to use free range.

I reread @3KillerBs post earlier (here https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/) and then saw these on Facebook marketplace. I sent the seller a message, but if they're not feasible, these items also give me some thought about what I want in a coop. It gets hot and humid here in eastern NC in the summer, so an open coop is not just doable, but preferable.View attachment 3367702

That's a good design for the Steamy Southeast, though I'm not sure about the structural integrity and predator-proofing. They might need a little repair, but possibly less work than modifying a prefab.

That's a good design for the Steamy Southeast, though I'm not sure about the structural integrity and predator-proofing. They might need a little repair, but possibly less work than modifying a prefab.
Oh, I'd be doing some proofing for sure. The seller indicated a willingness to assist in disassembling for transport. I could use part of the individual pieces for my own design using the pallets and spare wood I have on hand.

Thanks for your input!

Oh, I'd be doing some proofing for sure. The seller indicated a willingness to assist in disassembling for transport. I could use part of the individual pieces for my own design using the pallets and spare wood I have on hand.

Thanks for your input!

If the wood and wire are sound that could be a great way to get started.

If the wood and wire are sound that could be a great way to get started.
That's what I was thinking. The roof material and the hardware cloth should be salvageable anyway.

Those two coops are each 10' wide, 6' tall, 6' deep. The space between the shed and the chain link fence is 11'6". Hmm.

That's what I was thinking. The roof material and the hardware cloth should be salvageable anyway.

Those two coops are each 10' wide, 6' tall, 6' deep. The space between the shed and the chain link fence is 11'6". Hmm.

Nice.

The one that has chicken wire will need stronger wire, but if the framing is sound you'll be well on your way to an excellent hot-climate coop.

I know it's messy right now but try to imagine a fenced in run between the shed and the chain link fence (left side). The tree that came down is just past the end of the 16' long shed, so not in the way. I'm hoping to get the tree removed soon, workers are just so expensive!

The pallets are stacked under the blue tarp. Everything else will be tossed or relocated.

The woods to the left are mostly hardwoods, deciduous.
IMG_20230105_165649151_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom