Friend wants a goat for the wrong reasons- I need help

CarriBrown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 21, 2007
Thousand Oaks, California
Somebody here has to have the magic words to keep my friend from getting a goat.
Brief background- She's in college, graduating in three months. She and two of her girlfriends rent a house (in a housing tract) and own a dog. I asked her how she got onto the goat bandwagon, and she said she wanted it to mow the lawn.
barnie.gif

First- I'm certain it is not legal to have a goat where she is. Second, she says she has a friend that would take it after she graduates but this friend also lives in a housing tract in a city that would flip it's lid if they found out about it.
I've told her that goats are not lawnmowers, it's probably illegal to have one where she is, it needs attention, it may not get along with the dog, it would need a house, etc.
She said she didn't know what the big deal is. Her reasoning is if it lives in the backyard with grass, all she would have to do is feed and water it "every once in a while".
he.gif

My biggest road block? Her friend who grew up with horses and thinks the goat would be a "great idea". Just because you have a horse doesn't mean you're a goat expert.
SOMEBODY, for the love of the goats in my area that have the potential of being in this situation, HELP ME!!! :thun

Oy, that's a hard one. Other than pointing out the very real and sensible reasons why she should not have a goat right now, there probably isn't much you could do to discourage her. Maybe take her to a farm that has goats and she could see how they live, how they have to be taken care of. Is she willing to read up on caring for a goat? It's so hard watching someone make a bad decision knowing that a poor animal is going to suffer for it. Let us know how it turns out.

Good luck!!
fl.gif

First of all goats don't like grass! They prefer weeds, shrubs and that sort of thing, they will it grass but only if the former is not available. They also need a good shelter and a strong fence to keep them from escaping. I would tell her straight up that she is making a stupid decision. Since she is already planning on neglecting it you have to call her out on it.

As pico said, they do not like grass...Also...how does she plan on keeping it in the fence? Goats are great climbers. A regular chain link fence might not do. And what about the bad weather? What then?Oh, and lets NOT forget the SMELL!! Males will smell alot stronger than females. Oh..I hope she does not get a goat....maybe you can tell her, you will help her find her a cheap lawn mower from a garage sale??

Quote:
She's not "planning on" neglecting it, I know that for a fact. This girl has dogs and cats that are so well taken care of (read: SPOILED) that it's sickening. I honestly think that she has the wrong impression of a goat. I know her so well and have known her for so long that we call each other sister. She is definatly a "ditzy blonde" and I can say that because I'm blonde, too!!
lol.png

I think you're right, though, Picco. I just need to tell her that it's not a good decision and is not in the best interest of the animal.

This is fun. Your friend is a college student, hence young, stubborn, and lacking common sense. Heck we've all been there. Don't tell her anything. She won't listen. ASK HER QUESTIONS so she can come to her own conclusions.

Why do you want it?
Do you understand they don't like grass?
Don't you think it's unfair to the goat?
Do you want the hassle of taking care of it?
Do you want to deal with local authorities and ticked off neighbors?
What will your friends think? How will you look?
Is it possible to wait until you graduate? (She'll forget it by then)
Hey, wanna go to the bar?

You get the idea. Good luck!!!

Goats are definitely expert fence climbers, as someone pointed out. I have one that can scale an 8 ft hogwire fence and go through three strands of hotwire, just because he feels like it.

Goats will eat grass if there's nothing else to eat, but your friend's horse friend should realize that goats require a nutritious diet just the same as a horse would. Good quality (not moldy) hay, grain, mineral block, treats to vary their diet and make them happy. They need a constant supply of roughage to keep their rumen healthy and active. Too much "wet" feed can give them acidosis or bloat, which is deadly. Goats also need supplemental copper. If she has a wether (a castrated male) too much calcium can give him urinary stones - a painful and sometimes deadly condition. If the goat is a baby - it will need to be bottle fed day and night as well as have a high calorie diet as it grows. Also, goats need shots, regular worming, and hoove trims, every 6 to 8 weeks for the trimming. They need to be regularly checked for abscesses, mites, lice, and illnesses.

Goats are destructive when bored - they will literally eat your house if they have nothing to play on and no one to play with - on that note, they are herd animals, they are not meant to be alone and might cry pitifully for hours --- which is VERY noisy.

Goats poop a lot - it's in neat little packages, like rabbit poo - but all that grass could give it diarrhea. Not to mention that if she's not planning and going out to pick up every single one of those little berries, there will be flies, especially after it rains and it's hot outside. Goats jump on things and poop on them. Goats step in their poop and put their front feet on things.

I love my goats dearly and would not trade them for the world, but they are a big responsibility. I can honestly say that they are very easy to take care of - when you have the knowledge and space to take care of them.

You might also mention to your friend that wandering dogs like to chase and attack goats, as well as up-to-no-good kids, who will throw rocks, poke with sticks, or worse to a goat confined in a city yard, with no watchful eye above it.

And hey PurpleChicken, I'm a college student - while I might be stubborn, I like to think I have some common sense...
wink.png
~ Oaknim

Last edited:
Thanks everyone- You've giving me plenty of information that will HOPEFULLY put a stop to this.
I'm sure if (WHEN, is more like it) the city tells her to get rid of it, I'm going to end up with it. I love goats and all.... but I have enough animals, thankyouverymuch!

Back
Top Bottom