Free Pallets @ Harbor Freight!

gtaus

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I went into town today and visited our new local Harbor Freight. I noticed that they had a stack of pallets out behind the store next to their dumpsters. So, I asked the manager if I could take some pallets to make compost bins. He told me that I could take as many pallets as I wanted, and to come back for more later if I need more. They just give them away to anyone who wants to take them.

I don't know if this is just our local store policy, or if all Harbor Freight stores give away free pallets. In any case, I know lots of gardeners would like to get free pallets for compost bins and other projects, so I am just passing off this good news for me.

:old I am one of those guys who believes you can never have too many free pallets in the backyard shed ready to be put to use.

Hmmm. Maybe I should check with the new Harbor Freight in a nearby town. I also like think one can't have too many pallets lying about.

Yeah, it would be great to know if giving free pallets is a Harbor Freight nationwide policy, or if it's just a local thing for each of us.

FWIW, where I live, some companies give pallets away for free, some don't give pallets out at all, and many companies haul their pallets to the landfill and have to pay to dispose of them.

It cannot hurt to ask your Habor Freight if they give away their used pallets. The worse they can do is say no.

Just check the stamps on the pallets, and make sure they say HT (heat treated, which is harmless in your garden) and not MB (meaning they were treated with methyl bromide, which is a chemical you don't want leaching into your veggies.)

Great points. I'll have to check the pallets when I pick them up. Sometimes I use those pallets just to store things up off the ground, so I would find a use for the pallet even if not directly for the garden or composting. Thanks for the head's up.

Just picked up a trailer full of 6 free pallets from Harbor Freight this morning. Got 4 excellent pallets and 2 pallets in good shape. Only wish I had a bigger trailer....

IMG_20220514_111022.jpg

You can see my pallet compost bin setup in the background. It is in a grove a trees out of sight, out of mind. Don't know what I will use these pallets for at this time, but I'm sure that they will be in use somewhere soon.

Back
Top Bottom