Fluid filled sac inside the hen. What could it be?

Moraga

Hatching
6 Years
May 19, 2013
Hello!
I'm new to the site. Just processed 2 hens today and in one of them I found a really large bag of clear fluid. What could this be? I've never seen it before. It was located right at the lower belly, just above the vent. It was the first "bag" I saw when I opened her up. It was so large, it filled up almost half of her body cavity.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Hello!
I'm new to the site. Just processed 2 hens today and in one of them I found a really large bag of clear fluid. What could this be? I've never seen it before. It was located right at the lower belly, just above the vent. It was the first "bag" I saw when I opened her up. It was so large, it filled up almost half of her body cavity.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Were these CX? If so, it was almost certainly ascites, which is an accumulation of fluid in the abdomen that occurs in liver failure and/or congestive heart failure. Fatty liver and congestive heart failure occur in these birds all to frequently. The fluid is usually clear, but yellow tinged.

It is a good thing you got her processed before things got any worse.

Were these CX? If so, it was almost certainly ascites, which is an accumulation of fluid in the abdomen that occurs in liver failure and/or congestive heart failure. Fatty liver and congestive heart failure occur in these birds all to frequently. The fluid is usually clear, but yellow tinged.

It is a good thing you got her processed before things got any worse.
Resurfacing this after years. Is it safe to eat that hen? Is that sac looking like this? Attaching the pic

Attachments

• IMG_8388.jpeg
    IMG_8388.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8387.jpeg
    IMG_8387.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom