External roll away nest box addition

Clever design, nicely executed! I have just been through a 3rd (at least) nest revision to a front roll away design to deter egg eating; largely successful...

Has your egg eating disappeared?
I haven't moved the problem hen back in yet. I just installed this yesterday and will be finishing the tear out of the former box setup and the other rearranging needed today. Then, hopefully, she gets to be back with her flock. They've been getting supervised ranging time together and the isolation coop is a look, no touch setup so she hasn't been ostracized.

True, I have a silkie trying to hatch hay right now, and last year I had a Black Australorp broody inside a rollaway nesting box, but, she could somehow scoop eggs out of the collection spot and pull them up. She was very determined!
I guess I have been lucky, I have only had one get broody once with an egg pile up for motivation.

Curious if you built the roll-away or bought one? In my reading here, it was mentioned that the distance rolled in the commercially made boxes doesn't actually put the eggs out of reach, only out of sight. I went with a full 24" platform length and put the false wall at 12". They'd need to be willing to stick their head through the shredded rubber and quite a long way to reach an egg that settled in the center as expected. I *think* this will be enough to stop them.

I guess I have been lucky, I have only had one get broody once with an egg pile up for motivation.

Curious if you built the roll-away or bought one? In my reading here, it was mentioned that the distance rolled in the commercially made boxes doesn't actually put the eggs out of reach, only out of sight. I went with a full 24" platform length and put the false wall at 12". They'd need to be willing to stick their head through the shredded rubber and quite a long way to reach an egg that settled in the center as expected. I *think* this will be enough to stop them.
Yes, I have a store bought one, and you are correct, the collection box isn't quite deep enough and they can fish them back out. It helped a lot, but we still had a few eaten here and there.

:woot new and shiny and must be tried out 😄
I got stuck trying to take the old ones out and needed to recruit help so they had the option of new or old all morning. There was only one egg in the old box. I saw her contemplating and she ended up cuddling under the bit of dangling curtain that hadn't been pulled down in the removal effort. So, I put curtains on the new box entrances. I think she will appreciate that.

Trying to decide if the space is too large between the hop bar and entrance. I may add another slat halfway.

Attachments

• PXL_20240521_224106269.jpg
    PXL_20240521_224106269.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 8
I saw one trying to jump up through the center and failing so I added the other slat for safety reasons.

I added a booster to increase the roll angle for the first 12" since my grass material gets fluffed up as they scratch while settling in and an egg failed to roll at all from the plushness where it was laid. I made the booster removable so the angle can be adjusted back down in the future if needed.

I put a section of pipe insulation in the middle to serve as a bumper in case the roll speed is more than expected. I can now tell which side the egg was laid on. Happy to see both boxes are being used.

Zero floor eggs 🎉

Back
Top Bottom