Fixing toes

Ray987

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2024
Hello, have a 4 days old chick that had bent toes or something which I corrected using the tape method but I checked it again today and this is how it looks, does it need further fixing or it'll get better on its own?

Attachments

• IMG-20240506-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20240506-WA0005.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 10
In my very limited experience with taping toes, I don't think the toes will get better on their own. But, to me, it looks like the majority of your chick's toes are fine, just not the middle ones.

I had a Bantam chick whose toes I did my best to correct -- taping, making little cardboard shoes -- and ALL of her toes remained curled flat, like your chick's middle ones.

Maxie's feet never got better, but her feet never stopped her from living a good life. Truth be told, they probably bothered me more than they limited her.

It looks like either a genetic issue or a nutritional issue with the parent birds.

I don't think they are fixable. As long as it gets around well it likely won't be an issue for the bird.
You may find a need to trim the nails more often for this one than others in your flock.

I had a Speckled Sussex that had curled middle toes. Nothing helped but she lived a long happy healthy life even with crooked toes.

Back
Top Bottom