feeding chickens at night

renae

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 21, 2007
i know i have heard that it is best to feed the chickens early in the morning but i get up at 4 am and have to be out the door with only ah alf hour to get ready when iget home it is about 5 and usually very hot outside as i live in florida is it ok to fill their feeders at around 7pm that way it will be there for them before it gets dark here and it will be there early in the morning as well

I feed my chickens when the feeder is low. The same goes for chicks. They eat all day and fill thier crops before settling down for the night. As long as they have food available all the time they should be just fine. My girls grew up quite happy and healthy and lay lots of eggs.
yippiechickie.gif

I fill my feeders a night, that way the hens will wake up with fresh food for breakfast.

I'd make sure they had fresh cool water in the morning though. It gets pretty hot in Florida. You could even throw some ice cubes in it until you get home from work.
smile.png

im gladto hear that my feeding them at night isnt gonig to make to much of a difference it really is the only time i have and i love my chickens and love spending time with them when iget off work at the end of the day it is kinda like therapy

I have a follow up question... our girls are 7 weeks old now and are happy in their new coop and attached run. I close them up at night to keep them warm, but since the food/water is outside (under the covered run) do I need to provide a small amount of food and/or water inside the henhouse too? I don't have a problem doing this but I've read conflicting statements about ALWAYS having food and water available. Thoughts?

The only time you really have an issue with 24/7 food and water is with MEAT BIRDS. They will eat themselves to death. Normal heritage breeds have the brains to graize, and will likely miss not having access to water and food at their leasure.

I have a question along these same lines. I have a small coop that is part of a chicken tractor with a larger run. There is no room for the waterer inside, although I will keep the food inside. Will the chickens be OK if I close up the coop at night without them having access to water? I would open it back in the morning before going to work, so it would be about 8 - 10 hours that they wouldn't have access to it.

I would only do this on very cold nights, as I plan to leave the coop door open otherwise. The run is ver secure.

And until they are grown, I will need to keep the coop door closed for heating purposes, and they will always have access to water.

Back
Top Bottom