Feather loss on chest

TheChickenGirl0816

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2017
Hello! Gladys, a red sexlink, has been losing quite a bit of feathers from her chest area. I've read that this can mean she is broody, but she doesn't have any other signs or behavior changes. She does not seem to be in pain, is still laying and is not aggressive about her eggs. The patch of feather loss is not red or show any pecking and I don't think I see evidence of mites or lice. The other two hens have none of these symptoms. Could it still be broodiness without the other symptoms? Could it be molting even though it isn't starting at her head like I've read in other posts? I am a new chicken owner (just this last May) so lots of these changes are new to me, despite the research I did before and continue to do. Thank you so much!

So if she is locked on to a nest then yes it's broodyn if she's not sitting she could be an early molt, most say they lose feathers from the neck down but i have a few i never see molting on the necks it just starts on thier chest.

As a third option I have one that wears bare spots most of the year. I'm hoping it's a protein issue but we won't likely know untill next spring when she starts laying next year. Anyways when we got her she had bare spots on either side of her neck, we weren't sure of her age but it turned out she was a first year. Anyways so for her first molt the spots got balder untill most of her chest was bare, all the missing feathers came back in full and healthy but when she started to lay the next spring her bald spots reappeared. She has never been broody in the 2 years we have had her. I did have a few hens from last summer that did a partial molt and did not get those feathers back yet.

We switched to an all flock feed this year becuase we hatched chicks and are praying for a rooster. All flock has more protein, I have noticed some of the girls have started filling in thier bare spots since we switched, but it is also the start of molting season for some of my girls to so some have bigger bald spots.

Anyways the only thing we could ever figure out with my bald neck hen is that the feathers are weak and break easily and greet body won't replace then during the laying season, that why we are hoping the higher protein will help

Thank you so much for your feedback, this really helps me to feel less nervous. I need to pick up more feed this weekend and will grab some extra meal worms as well.

you should watch your chicken to see if there is any scratching or plucking if not it is probably just her molting

She is not sitting on the nest and it always out with the other two when they are out in the backyard. That's why it's been confusing for me because there have been none of the other broody behaviors. She is also still laying.

She is not sitting on the nest and it always out with the other two when they are out in the backyard. That's why it's been confusing for me because there have been none of the other broody behaviors. She is also still laying.
So then if its late summer you might have an early molter, like some of mine. Feather plucking is usually the tail or back unless she is plucking her own which is still a possibility. Or as i mentioned with one of mine she just has weak feathers that will hopefully remedy is self next spring with the higher protein feed.

Btw how old are your hens? First years done usually molt but can have a partial molt. Most won't have a full molt untill thier second fall.

If you switch to a higher protein feed like an all flock or feather fixer make sure you keep oystershell available at all times for layer

So then if its late summer you might have an early molter, like some of mine. Feather plucking is usually the tail or back unless she is plucking her own which is still a possibility. Or as i mentioned with one of mine she just has weak feathers that will hopefully remedy is self next spring with the higher protein feed.

Btw how old are your hens? First years done usually molt but can have a partial molt. Most won't have a full molt untill thier second fall.

If you switch to a higher protein feed like an all flock or feather fixer make sure you keep oystershell available at all times for layer

My hens are less than a year old. I've noticed that Gladys is only losing feather on her chest and stomach and can see some growing back a little bit.

My hens are less than a year old. I've noticed that Gladys is only losing feather on her chest and stomach and can see some growing back a little bit.

So then yeah you might have a feather plucked or just one at loses feathers easily while laying. It's hard to say as long as the area isn't red at least she won't be prone to pecking injuries but i would try to watch for feather pulling. Fyi feather pulling/eating can also be a sign of low protein. Some will pull and eat the own usually the chest area, some will pull and eat others usually the neck, back, wings or especially the tail

Back
Top Bottom