Apr 6, 2018
Hello! We have been letting our hen hatch a few eggs and this morning one was super cracked and crushed- but the chick is alive. We haven’t been tracking it super closely- but the eggs should be hatching this week I think. Is the egg hatching or cracked, and what should I do? It’s been like this for about 3 hours. The chick appears to be breathing but I’m afraid to move the egg. Please help!

Attachments

• 4208B765-A24E-4568-A034-6A070E106285.jpeg
    4208B765-A24E-4568-A034-6A070E106285.jpeg
    367.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 7F1A525F-C973-428D-B203-067EBF9B48A5.jpeg
    7F1A525F-C973-428D-B203-067EBF9B48A5.jpeg
    346.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 2E80E1D0-C7BC-4874-9095-7DAEC3770C63.jpeg
    2E80E1D0-C7BC-4874-9095-7DAEC3770C63.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 22
Leave it. It's important to leave the eggs alone the last few days of hatching. You may not see it, but that chick's yolk could very easily still be attatched to the egg shell. It may not have completely absorbed it. If you move it, you risk destroying that yolk wich is important to the chicks. You can also risk killing the chick if it breaks to.

Hello! We have been letting our hen hatch a few eggs and this morning one was super cracked and crushed- but the chick is alive. We haven’t been tracking it super closely- but the eggs should be hatching this week I think. Is the egg hatching or cracked, and what should I do? It’s been like this for about 3 hours. The chick appears to be breathing but I’m afraid to move the egg. Please help!
You need to take the egg and bring it inside. Can you find a heating pad or heat lamp to put it under? The mom is going to kill it if you leave it out there. It's smashed, I don't think it was ready to hatch. If you leave it the mom will eat it though.

You need to take the egg and bring it inside. Can you find a heating pad or heat lamp to put it under? The mom is going to kill it if you leave it out there. It's smashed, I don't think it was ready to hatch. If you leave it the mom will eat it though.
Can say that I didn't know the mom would kill a chick in that situation. I'll keep that in mind if I ever come across something like that to. If its the case then I think I agree with you.

Last edited:
Can say that I didn't know the mom would kill a chick in that situation. I'll keep that in mind if I ever come across something like that to. If its the case then I think I agree with you.
Chickens love to peck blood. They just keep pecking until whatever fitness is dead. I had a hen that had a tiny scab on her head from picking it on a sharp wire in the run. I fixed the wire and cleaned her wound. I kept her separate for a week while it healed. All that was left was the scab, which I put some blue kote on. Well, she was in for about 5 or 6 days. She scratched it open and there was this super tiny dot of blood. I wiped it off with a wet cloth. I came back out later and agendas dead. They pecked that spot of blood incessantly and killed her. They're ao vicious sometimes. My breeds are friendly breeds too! So now if there is ANY blood I remove the bird immediately and keep it separate until fully healed.

Chickens love to peck blood. They just keep pecking until whatever fitness is dead. I had a hen that had a tiny scab on her head from picking it on a sharp wire in the run. I fixed the wire and cleaned her wound. I kept her separate for a week while it healed. All that was left was the scab, which I put some blue kote on. Well, she was in for about 5 or 6 days. She scratched it open and there was this super tiny dot of blood. I wiped it off with a wet cloth. I came back out later and agendas dead. They pecked that spot of blood incessantly and killed her. They're ao vicious sometimes. My breeds are friendly breeds too! So now if there is ANY blood I remove the bird immediately and keep it separate until fully healed.
I knowhave about the blood thing. That happened with two of my birds in just a single night (still shudder at the thought of that morning discovery). Didn't see any blood in the pic though XD. Either way, I hope the chick does well.

I knowhave about the blood thing. That happened with two of my birds in just a single night (still shudder at the thought of that morning discovery). Didn't see any blood in the pic though XD. Either way, I hope the chick does well.
I saw some blood in this pic. Birds are so bad with blood. I hope it does ok too. I think it will be fine with some TLC and supportive care.
Screenshot_2020-05-01-21-43-31.png

Leave it. It's important to leave the eggs alone the last few days of hatching. You may not see it, but that chick's yolk could very easily still be attatched to the egg shell. It may not have completely absorbed it. If you move it, you risk destroying that yolk wich is important to the chicks. You can also risk killing the chick if it breaks to.
Okay this seems like the safer choice. I’m a bit conflicted as someone else said to bring it inside but for now we are just letting nature do it’s thing. There was a bit of peeping and movement going on last time I checked, which I hope is a good sign. I will update y’all in the morning, thanks for all the help!

Okay this seems like the safer choice. I’m a bit conflicted as someone else said to bring it inside but for now we are just letting nature do it’s thing. There was a bit of peeping and movement going on last time I checked, which I hope is a good sign. I will update y’all in the morning, thanks for all the help!
I'd just keep a close eye on it incase mom starts pecking like they mentioned earlier.

Back
Top Bottom