Effective weed barrier

Ninjasquirrel

Free Ranging
6 Years
5 Years
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
Every year I find myself on my hands and knees for hours pulling weeds in our 10'x10' garden. Then it rains for 3 to 5 days and I give up because the weeds are out of control and just start weeding around the plants and not doing between the rows. We like in a very wooded area so the weeds get out of control very fast. I've tried cardboard, newspaper, landscaping fabric...nothing works. The weeds grow back ON TOP of the landscaping fabric. The only thing I havent tried is mulch and I was contemplating it this year. My SO says I'm just being lazy but I dont think so (I dont see him pulling weeds :idunno ) Anyone have any advice on effective weed barriers? We refuse to use poison so please don't suggest that...although I'm sure it does wonders

Anyone have any advice on effective weed barriers?

My Mom's solution, that also works for me: layers of newspaper or cardboard, with wood chip/mulch on top to keep it from blowing away.

I mean THICK layers of newspaper: 6-10+ sheets thick all over, with at least 1-2 inches of the wood chips on top. Then it still needs a new layer once a year or so in Alaska (where I grew up) and sometimes twice or more yearly in Virginia (where I am now--rots faster in warmer temperatures.) It sometimes works for me to rake off the wood chips, spread more newspaper/cardboard, and put the same wood chips back on. (Raking them around also helps disturb any little seedlings in the top layer, before those seedlings have a chance to get bigger.)

Are you able to pen chickens in the garden? Not while growing crops, but after harvest and before spring planting? Every weed, and especially every seed, that they eat can save you some trouble later!

I've always wanted to make a chicken run all around the garden, like a big doughnut with the garden in the center "hole." That would stop weeds spreading in from outside the garden. (I haven't actually tried it, but maybe someday...)

I have a particular flowerbed that stayed almost weed-free last summer. Every time the lawn got mowed, I put the grass clippings around the plants in that one flowerbed. I was piling the clippings about 2 inches deep each time, then they'd sink down as they dried, then I'd add more the next time. It got thick enough that weeds did not easily sprout through them, so weeding was reduced. Yes, I tucked the clippings carefully around my plants, so the plants could still stick out and get sun. And yes, I pulled any weeds that I noticed while piling the clippings--but it wasn't many.

For removing small numbers of weeds: boiling water works well. Anytime I boil eggs or noodles, I take the hot water outside afterward, and pour on weeds in a few particular areas (mostly the edges of my driveway.) It might work in your garden aisles, as well. Of course, it kills any plant equally, so don't use it too close to your crops, but it does not leave any poisonous residue behind. And the sight of a particular weeds lying there cooked and dead makes ME feel a lot happier!

My Mom's solution, that also works for me: layers of newspaper or cardboard, with wood chip/mulch on top to keep it from blowing away.

I mean THICK layers of newspaper: 6-10+ sheets thick all over, with at least 1-2 inches of the wood chips on top. Then it still needs a new layer once a year or so in Alaska (where I grew up) and sometimes twice or more yearly in Virginia (where I am now--rots faster in warmer temperatures.) It sometimes works for me to rake off the wood chips, spread more newspaper/cardboard, and put the same wood chips back on. (Raking them around also helps disturb any little seedlings in the top layer, before those seedlings have a chance to get bigger.)

Are you able to pen chickens in the garden? Not while growing crops, but after harvest and before spring planting? Every weed, and especially every seed, that they eat can save you some trouble later!

I've always wanted to make a chicken run all around the garden, like a big doughnut with the garden in the center "hole." That would stop weeds spreading in from outside the garden. (I haven't actually tried it, but maybe someday...)

I have a particular flowerbed that stayed almost weed-free last summer. Every time the lawn got mowed, I put the grass clippings around the plants in that one flowerbed. I was piling the clippings about 2 inches deep each time, then they'd sink down as they dried, then I'd add more the next time. It got thick enough that weeds did not easily sprout through them, so weeding was reduced. Yes, I tucked the clippings carefully around my plants, so the plants could still stick out and get sun. And yes, I pulled any weeds that I noticed while piling the clippings--but it wasn't many.

For removing small numbers of weeds: boiling water works well. Anytime I boil eggs or noodles, I take the hot water outside afterward, and pour on weeds in a few particular areas (mostly the edges of my driveway.) It might work in your garden aisles, as well. Of course, it kills any plant equally, so don't use it too close to your crops, but it does not leave any poisonous residue behind. And the sight of a particular weeds lying there cooked and dead makes ME feel a lot happier!
I never knew the boiling water trick! I'll give it a try definately. When you say wood chips do you mean mulch or like pine shavings?

I never knew the boiling water trick! I'll give it a try definately. When you say wood chips do you mean mulch or like pine shavings?

Mulch, or the stuff you can get for free from places that cut trees. My Mom got several dump-truck loads when the utility company was trimming things near her house (they had a big truck/chipper combination). The main idea is for it to be heavy and stay put, so nothing light and fluffy.

Boiling water is probably not efficient if you do a lot of it, but I can assure you that a well-cooked weed doesn't grow any more!

If I was going to move the garden for a year anyway, I'd probably use chickens instead of the sun, but that's just me :)
That would be good, too. I don't know what the difference would be in the amount of weeds from either solution. I would think that burning the seeds up would work better, but it also kills the good organisms. Then if you get compost that hasn't been heated properly and introduce more weeds...vicious cycle. Chickens would add nitrogen as they scratch through and eat the seeds and till it all up.You wouldn't necessarily have to add more compost, but it's always a good idea. It's too bad that it takes so long, either way, to actually get something accomplished! Short growing seasons are such a bummer :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom